How a cooked Assange quote ended up media gospel

I figured they would go for some sort of conspiracy charge, and try to show that Assange has a role in the attacks more important than conduit.

It doesn’t really matter. Russia is probably behind the hacks, and we probably won’t do anything about that, beyond hacking them back and maybe kicking out some diplomats. If we don’t go after them, why would we spin our wheels pursuing Assange? He’s just a useful idiot. The Russians would have released this information through some third party. It just happened to be Wikileaks.

It’s almost as if they were serving as some sort of propaganda machine for some set of interests or other…

2 Likes

Assange may be thoroughly unlikeable, but that’s no justification for this sort of fiction.

I don’t like the post-factual world one bit, and I wish I knew how to chip away at it.

Please present evidence of the implication that the unholy ‘they’ have manipulated a person or people in Sweden to make unfounded accusations of rape against Assange.

But… Ahmadinehad… he has beady eyes and swarthy skin… he MUST be evil! /s

1 Like

Of course he’s evil. He was a high ranking politician and deffo into Holocaust denial. He’s just not a cartoon.

2 Likes

Fair enough!

I don’t know about others, but the only assertion I’m making is that if accusations of rape aren’t adequate to convince Ecuador to extradite him then a hypothetical actor in the US government would have to do better than “activities harmful to the United States” to get him extradited to the US. I’m making no comment as to authenticity of the witnesses, as I don’t know enough about the case and I personally feel it would be unproductive for me to armchair judge people coming forward as rape victims.

I would hazard a guess that hungryjoe is describing how the US government could go about structuring a case about his recent actions to get him extradited to the US for trial, rather than commenting on the prior charges by Swedish authorities.

1 Like

I was about to launch into a speech about how people are never cartoons and was reminded of Donald Trump’s existence. I must amend that to “rarely.”

3 Likes

oh, don’t worry, if you read it long enough they offend just about everyone.

No no. I was referring to my hypothetical situation where the United States tries to dislodge Assange from the Ecuadorian embassy on the grounds that he’s working hand-in-glove with the Russians. That’s the conspiracy charge I’m dreaming up.

The rape charges from Sweden are a separate issue. I’m not referring to those.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.