How a design company is dealing with getting their notebook knocked off

Use whatever size paper best expresses what you want to express. Cut down some paper if you have to. Painters have been stretching canvas over a huge variety of dimensions, seems to have worked out fine for them.

8:5 is a close approximation of the golden ratio (1.61803). Which means if you rotate it you can show two panels of the same aspect ratio at half the size, repeat ad infinitum. The usefulness of an approximation (1.6:1) is that in a computer monitor you don’t end up with a weird number of pixels. You instead get 1920x1200 or 1680x1050 or something along those lines.

2 Likes

Maybe because it’s 11pm on a Friday and I’m in a post-Netflix-micro-binge-daze but I have to wonder—Boing Boing, defender against all litigation that would curb creativity, seems like the last place on Earth that would confer ownership of an element as basic as aspect ratio to one manufacturer of notepads. Have ye all gone daft, mate? What has happened to Boing Boing? You’ve lowered the Jolly Roger and hoisted the flag of a digital Lillian Vernon.

3 Likes

Oh no, your rectangle looks like our rectangle!

1 Like

Oh jeez, embarrassing, I should have divided it out! 1.618… I would have recognized I promise I swear. Which is (coincidentally?!?) very near to the ratio of miles to kilometers! Which I know off the top of my head because I currently drive a car which emigrated from Canada so I am always converting kmh to mph on the fly which I feel brings me closer to our European brothers in a neuro-linguistic sense – but did you know they have 37 different words for “pâté”?! And kilometers having come from those math-addicted atheistic French revolutionaries maybe it wasn’t even a coincidence. Oo la la.

Anyway the history of the golden mean is good fun. A lot of it is… not exactly evidentiastically-oriented? but the desire to impose simple linear order on a recursively-complex world is understandable, and even if (when) it doesn’t work out, so cute! Especially when it’s mathematicians codifying aesthetics, or artists co-opting mathematics for validation, and then there’s the willful “reinterpretation” of biological measurements (c.f. E. Haeckel) – all in a worthy cause of course of course.

3 Likes

Isn’t that the case with A4 (and all the other standard A and B paper sizes?)

1 Like

Oh man, the Maruman Mnemosyne has the most amazing art paper, so good, for pencil or fountain pen or brush pen. Ran across them in like Taiwan I think? years back but gave them up as being a bit pricey for my paper-hungry scrawling habits. I bind my own now so a spiral bound notebook doesn’t appeal but maybe they sell the loose paper? Likely not, but a worthy search project. Thanks for reminding me!

2 Likes

We used to live down the street from a paper company, and they’d sell big stacks of pads of various weights, colors, and sizes, neatly packaged in shrink-wrapped pyramids, for $1. (This was in the 80s, so prices have undoubtedly changed.) I’d get a few at a time & put them away until I needed another notepad or scratchpad.

I was so sad when I used up the last one, a heavyweight dark green 3"x4" pad. It was last because the only thing that could be seen on it was silver paint pens or sharpies.

3 Likes

I don’t want to make you feel even more mournful, but you could have also used this – https://www.amazon.com/Noodlers-Bulletproof-Ghost-Invisible-Fountain/dp/B000WJ1MJC . The glow shows up really well on dark surfaces.

Probably you would have wanted a fountain pen to go with. I like these - https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Parallel-Calligraphy-Cartridges-90052/dp/B002RJPPMK

And then you would have needed a UV light so you could read what you’d written (especially important when proofreading spirit-writing) - https://www.amazon.com/Escolite-Flashlight-Ultraviolet-Blacklight-Detector/dp/B008133KB4 - also handy for spotting the hidden scorpions.

I would have considered selling these as a Spirit-Write-Happy-Glow bundle but for the legal and ethical issues involved in mailing scorpions across state lines.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s also a goldern ratio format. As an added bonus a 16:10 monitor in landscape can show two pages of A4 paper in full screen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.