How a jerk scams a free quadruple espresso at Starbucks 365 days a year

I think you’re an idiot for going to Starbucks when you can get coffee at quicktrip or where ever. But I don’t drink coffee so maybe it must be really fucking good coffee. They must make a product that one can’t easily get as good for less money or people wouldn’t make it as popular as it is.

I’d almost be ok with it if he kept his head down, got a coffee and left. But no, he makes a 20 point instruction chart and then tells them how to ring it up to have it fall under the limit. That there is a total entitled asshole who I would pay money to see kicked in the nuts.

If I was the manager I’d just ban him for life. He’s not a customer, he’s a leech.

8 Likes

No, it’s actually the worst fucking coffee, if it weren’t for marketing and corn syrup addiction they’d have no brand. (And they’ve sunk to new lows lately since they’re still supporting the anti-GMO-labeling lawsuit against Virginia.)

Manager: [to Asshole] Yes sir, what can I do for you?
Asshole: [points to Barista] You seem to have an employee here who believes that the customer is not always right. [Barista crosses arms, glares at him]
Manager: Sir, I’d be happy to take your order, what would you like?
Asshole: [nods to Barista] I’d like her to take my order.
Manager: And what was your order, sir?
Asshole: [sighs] Okay. [lifts cup, points at it with marker, and gives instructions; Manager takes out pen, starts jotting down order]
Manager: [looking at note] Okay, so an iced quad venti vanilla white mocha with heavy cream instead of milk. Got it, I’ll—
Asshole: [shaking head, raises hand] Whoa, whoa, whoa, that’s— no, that’s not it, see, that’s what she said, too. [points to Barista] You’re both not listening, what I want is—
Manager: Four shots of espresso, three regular, one long—
Asshole: Yes, exactly, a quad espresso—
Manager: —with two pumps mocha, five vanilla, cream on bottom, ice on top.
Asshole: Yeah, yeah.
Manager: Well, that’s a quad venti vanilla white mocha.
Asshole: No, it’s— look, I just want a quad espresso with a little birthday pizzazz, is that too much to ask?
Manager: Oh, it’s your birthday?
Barista: [murmurs] One of them, apparently.
Asshole: [to Manager] Look at th– did you hear that? Did you just hear what she said?
Manager: Sir, I’d be happy to fill your order for you.
Asshole: No, it sounds like you’d be happy to overcharge me, is what it sounds like. I’ve never— I can’t believe this. [shakes head] I’ve never had this much trouble ordering. I— you know what? Screw it. [slaps wallet shut, stuffs in pocket] Just screw it. [walks away]
Barista: [waits for door to close, then turns to Manager] Ya know, sometimes the customer is wrong.
Manager: [nods] True. [watches the man get in his car] But sometimes that customer is also an asshole.

19 Likes

10 Likes

3 Likes

I’m gonna kick 100% of your ass!

4 Likes

No, I just make my own coffee, 99% of these “lifehacks” only work if you have too much time and zero shame.

13 Likes

Cool, I broke your brain.

3 Likes

It’s ok coffee. Not great, but reliably ok. I think a lot of people go there for coffee drinks - which are mostly sugar and milk - not coffee.

On the other hand, the coffee at QT is absolute shit. It tastes acrid and angry. It’s desperation coffee.

1 Like

Sounds character building.

4 Likes

within walking distance even… sigh.

No, I hate this player. He’s an entitled douche who’s being a jerk to the employees, stealing from a company, and breaking the rules in ways that shouldn’t be permissible. He deserves to be ‘bashed’ as well as banned from Starbucks.

4 Likes

^^^^ HEY GUISE I FOUND THE GUY THIS ARTICLE IS ABOUT!!!

No, seriously, you’re being rude.

6 Likes

2 Likes

if he makes the barrista’s day harder he’s being a jerk, other than that it’s all good. In fact hell, I would consider doing it if only we had more than a couple starbucks in town.

1 Like

Dunno if it should factor in, but I’ve gotten a strong impression that Starbucks treats its employees really well.

I mean, yeah, a certain amount of the fair trade ethical stuff they have going on is just marketing bullshit for self-righteous yuppies, but almost anyone can get a job there and many of them get themselves through college with a little help from the 'bucks. A barista across the street from my office got herself through nursing school on her Starbucks salary.

Plus benefits, which at least one of the local fair trade places screws their employees on royally (pay 'em too much to qualify for MassHealth, not enough to buy their own).

So all this talk about “evil corporations” is probably misplaced unless you’re a smash-the-state Marxist or anarchist. Starbucks may be tacky and overrated but certainly not “evil” relative to other corporations people might try to screw over.

5 Likes

I’d feel more sympathy if there was the smallest mote of science behind that Foodbabe fearmongering.

5 Likes

Sounds fake, he’d have been run out of most places. But if it’s not I’m guessing his “very special drink” gets served a reserved stack of cups in which a variety of non-lethal liquids have been sloshed around then allowed to dry.

Starbucks treats their employees far better than their competition. My sister worked there for several years; part-time employees (at least 20 hrs/week) get full medical coverage, which is unheard of in the industry.

Starbucks is an easy target precisely because of customers like the guy this article’s about; elitist, entitled, whiny people who buy (or steal) $6 drinks give the place a bad reputation.

5 Likes

Yep, I tend to agree. There’s problems to be found if you look hard enough, no doubt–it’s fucking huge after all, and has to make a lot of decisions that affect a lot of people. But as big, ubiquitous corporations go, it should be one of the later ones to go up against the wall. It does have a reputation of treating employees relatively well, and was (as I recall) an advocate of Universal Health care when a lot of employers were spreading FUD—and unlike Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks bigwigs didn’t show themselves to be a hypocritical asses about minimum wage increases. Even its recent embarrassment (“let’s talk about race”) weren’t evil–just tone-deaf.

1 Like