How a miniature chess set is made

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/01/how-a-miniature-chess-set-is-m.html

6 Likes

A Wonderful Thing!

Thanks; I needed that.

5 Likes

“What are you doing?”
“Making my own chess set.”
“Oh, cool. Is that the first piece?”
“No, this is the board.”

5 Likes

Nice to look at, but I wouldn’t want to play with eensy-weensy pieces. Too easy to knock them askew.

1. Bit disappointed it didn’t involved tiny magical creatures…

2. I bet he’s kicking himself he didn’t take the height of the king in to consideration when making the height of the drawer.

3 Likes

Watching all that wood just get milled away made me cringe. Seems like a machinist’s approach to hog out material to make a shape. But I really loved the techniques used on the lathe.

tweezers are almost necessary in order to play.

2 Likes

Surprising to see the knights being cut freehand and I was really expecting the drawer pull knob to get threaded instead of glued. Still an absolutely satisfying video.

2 Likes

Note to self: Do NOT play chess with this while suffering from a cold or allergies.

3 Likes

He needs to add a steel plate under the squares and put a tiny rare earth magnet at the end of the pieces.

2 Likes

I thought that was intentional as the tray specifically had spots for them to lay down on for presentation, but now I wonder. (Even if it’s accidental, I think I like it better having the kings on display when you open the drawer.)

2 Likes

I must have missed the slots to lay them down - I thought he just had holes for each piece and then laid down the two kings.

1 Like

There weren’t slots, just the empty area in the middle.

I was wondering why it was like that and when he put them on their sides I thought “Oh!”

But now I think it might have just been fortuitous.

1 Like

This is just beautiful.
Unplayable.
But wonderful as a shelf display.

1 Like

Old-school chess piece making:

1 Like

Shah mat!

What is this, a chess set for ants?

2 Likes

Yeah I saw the empty space, but assumed it was because, you know, there were only that many pieces.

Considering how nice everything else was, you would think it it was intentional he would have milled slots for them to lay down on.

But hey, it’s a nit pick. Still a really neat job.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.