How anime avatars became a warning

I don’t know… A lot of modern anime is basically fan service, and seems to be first about showing very young girls with oddly large breasts, and then panty shots, and much much later about having a plot. This trend has pretty much taken over the genre (to the point where I stopped being a fan at all), with some rare exceptions.

Most anime avatars are loli muck, as well, which in my opinion, doesn’t bode well for the person behind it.

2 Likes

Surely MMO character avatars are A-OK?

ETA, not meant as a reply to Jehovazilla…

2 Likes

I feel like this would be the perfect time to jump on board an animé avatar schtick.
Y’know. For the lulz.

Think I’d have to go for Retro from Dead Leaves:

11 Likes

Exceptions aren’t rare at all, unless you’ve already made up your mind.

3 Likes

I was looking for mine own animetar to jump on the bandwagon and coincidently found the bleetbart reporter those kids are so fond of.

7 Likes

The duck is actually a tea infuser. :wink:

17 Likes

I didn’t say all anime avatars, there can be alot of variation in regards to content. Especially the moe crap.

I was just saying in general

What about self-congratulatory references to fierce (if undersized) predators?

5 Likes

No comment

10 Likes

By contrast, you can immediately follow anyone with a Glitch avatar.

10 Likes

That’s what this is all really about right?

4 Likes

It is by noise alone I set my mind in motion.

6 Likes

So the article is right! :wink:

3 Likes

Yes! Let’s all lay back and let this be Anime Avatar Weekend.

6 Likes

I kind of figured that was what they were talking about. I’d mentally class people with a mecha avatar as different than those with loli, or as the person a comment or so down, a cat.

That said, classifying people by their choice of avatar is a bit daft (as is blocking people for being new to your medium of choice) as it has no bearing at all on the merits of what they are saying. I’m not sure how much you can really read into people’s choice of avatar. Mine is Godzilla, what does that say about me outside of the fact that I happen to like the (original) franchise? Do people who like Godzilla share some big ideological commonality? Maybe they trend slightly in a direction, but even then blocking all Godzilla avatars censors a good deal of opinions which may not follow whatever trend Godzillaphiles might have.

1 Like

Might I compliment you on your choice. OEDO is a classic. A Classic!!!

1 Like

Is that supposed to be @beschizza laying back and congratulating himself on a job well done?

Next weekend, ‘Can I make everyone adopt coprolite avatars?’

3 Likes

It’s the Irresponsible Captain Tylor, but sure, Beschizza might just have that same pose right now, glad of his achievement :wink:

My first thought of an avatar was actually Goggles from OEDO, but then I chose someone who resembles me more closely.

1 Like

You can, but I know almost nothing about anime.

I just remembered seeing something late on Channel 4 in the 90s, and google said it was that. I think it was, but…20 years…

Actually, I should ask people here. I was trying to find a list of anime films that would be a good starting place the other day.

I mean, I’ve seen Akira and lots of Ghibli stuff, natch, but I’m generally clueless.

I ended up watching Paprika, Patlabor, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Evangelion, and I have Perfect Blue on hold. Any other suggestions? Looks like I can get Dead Leaves, for example…

1 Like

What if we can’t tell who is or is not capable of horrible behavior in certain circumstances based on their preferences in selecting their avatar?

What if anyone has such capabilities?

WHAT WILL WE DOOOOO

3 Likes