How awesome does an ASCII art app have to be to command a $50 price tag?

[Read the post]

Non-mobile, desktop software is ā€œappsā€ now?

3 Likes

Prices should always be set at random.

2 Likes

Itā€™s like unleaded gasoline ā€“ you pay extra to have the lead taken out.

yes I KNOW it is because lead was used as an anti-knock compound and unleaded is more expensive because a more expensive anti-knock compound is being used

3 Likes

This again?

It always was. The term ā€˜killer appā€™ was in use long before it had anything to do with mobile apps. See http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/103376?redirectedFrom=killer+app#eid40167745 for multiple forms of proof.

4 Likes

ASCII Apps?

,     ,                                    ,,,,,,,,,,,
  ;';' ''''' ;,;        ------;;;;------       ,'' ;  ;  ;  ''|||\///
 ,'  ________  ',      |______|;;|______|      ',,_;__;__;__;,'''/\\\
 ;,;'        ';,'        |    |;;|    |         |            |
   '.________.'           '.__|;;|__.'           '.________.'
      Mirugai                Tamago                   Ebi
   (Giant Clam)            (Cooked Egg)             (Shrimp)

Sure. The context does make the headline confusing, since $50 sounds expensive for a phone art app but is a fairly low price tag to ā€œcommandā€ for most graphic-artist-oriented software in Mac OS. Manga Studio is $210 and Corel Painter is $400, for instance.

The really funny caveat? Emacs is built into OSX and it has ā€œartist-modeā€ which appears to have remarkably similar functionality. Also Emacs is DRM free and free free and open source.

2 Likes

The context is that itā€™s $50 for an ASCII art app.

It is OSX

Typhon:~ jeremy$ ls /Applications
Adobe
Adobe DNG Converter.app
Adobe Digital Editions 3.0.app
Adobe Reader 9
Adobe Reader.app
AirKeyboard.app
AirServer.app
Aperture.app
App Store.app
ā€¦

because people who use macs like to pay lots of money for everything. the end.

2 Likes

Oblig Sticky Comics strip:

1 Like

ASCII is a medium that some folks need to deliver in, and doing it by-hand in a text-editor is not efficient. As someone who adds diagrams to code and wikis this sounds like a great time saver. I havenā€™t looked at the competition, but $50 hardly seems steep for niche software.

How is doing it by hand with a text editor not efficient? I create ASCII art that way.

This program is one of the few which doesnā€™t seem to just copy and paste a converted image. But, itā€™s Japanese fonts so not standard ASCII. Iā€™ve yet to find software which does a good job at designing ASCII art versus copying something.

Martin had one which was good (I canā€™t remember the name right now) but seemed over complicated when I could just do it myself in a text editor. Likely this one will be the same. But, it looks interesting. For people who donā€™t want to do it themselves this may be a good option to create something of their own.

Apps is a shortform for applications. So, apps have been around far longer than mobile.

1 Like

This looks like a job for StackExchange!

They suggest using vim, asciio emacs and others,

2 Likes

For me the biggest issue by far is that text editors are made for editing a 1D sequence of characters, but I like to edit diagrams as if they are 2D visualizations. Operations like moving a block in a diagram, drawing connectors, resizing borders, etc. I find this tedious in pure text editors. This tools seems to address that problem by treating the diagram as a diagram that happens to get rendered as a sequence of characters, not a sequence of characters that happens to be a diagram.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.