Zero to Hero Game Developer Bundle in Boing Boing Store

[Read the post]

I am seriously considering this. Mostly, Iā€™m wondering if this would be useful for non-coders to learn how to prep art assets for games. Any thoughts or discussion on this?

Agreed, has anyone purchased this? If so, how was it - did you learn enough to actually make a game, or even nom-game content? That was worth playing? InterTubes be darned, but I donā€™t count Flappy Birdā€¦ What about iOS & ā€œthat is the Android youā€™re looking forā€ stores - any help with those processes included?
Was using Xcode & Android Studio both covered? How to port between the two?
Iā€™ve not looked at the SDKā€™s before - what type of programming experience (languages) would be most helpful?

I would say that $49 is a lot to pay for something like this, when there is so much free stuff out there. (Ignore the ā€œregularly $989!ā€ price ā€” thatā€™s just fantasy numbers pulled from the air.)

Any basic introduction to coding will give you what you need. I know there are Kahn Academy and Coursera courses out there. Knowing the fundamentals is 99% of game programing. And when you start to know the fundamentals, you will know how to find the rest of the material you need.

@coherent_light I donā€™t see anything in their list that makes it seem like it would be useful for learning to prep art assets. Wouldnā€™t the other people youā€™d be working with be able to give you the specs? Itā€™s just a matter of x-pixels by y-pixels, or exporting an animation as a sprite sheet (for which there are tutorials on the web).

1 Like

The ā€œregularly $989!ā€ is incredibly sleazy and obnoxious, and I wouldnā€™t buy this, just to discourage that shit.

That said, Iā€™ve taught myself several programming languages, and I bought a $50 class on Udemy on ios programming that was more than worth it, just for the time I saved by having everything I needed to get going in one place, instead of having to google it bit-by-bit.

With OSS stuff like Python, there are open and free textbooks and curricula that are just as good as any of the ones people charge for, but Iā€™ve found that to be much less the case with xcode and ios.

1 Like

Unknown, since Iā€™ve never worked on a game like this, really. (That didnā€™t involve C128/C64 sprites anyway).

The disadvantage to trying to learn from free materialsā€”speaking only for myself, hereā€”is that I really sometimes need some form of hand-holding like that found in instructional matter like this.

@anon62122146:
I donā€™t think $989 is all that unreasonable. Maybe itā€™s easier for some folk to learn one way, with less expensive materials, but I think its perfectly acceptable for those who might need more of a jumpstart than others.

And how does that fee compare with some equivalent courses at Digipen, anyway?

If itā€™s not unreasonable, then sell it for that. My issue is with the advertising strategy of quoting a price many times beyond what you ever expect to get, or even ask for, so as to permanently mark it ā€˜85% Off!ā€™

I doubt they sold a single copy at full price, or expected to. In fact, I doubt they ever even listed it for full price, and thatā€™s what I find really obnoxious.

I guess. Iā€™m used to education costing far more than that, so perhaps I just see it differently,

Turns out, I just couldnā€™t. No time. No space to learn anything else (not while Iā€™m fighting with drupal anyway).

But maybe Iā€™ll get around to it in the future.

@frauenfelder Can other BB Store posts have open comments, like this one does? I wanted to be able to post a comment on the DripBit sale, but it seems that some sales allow conversation (like above) but others donā€™t.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.