How being 12 is a second toddlerhood

[Permalink]

1 Like

If “Little kids basically are like tiny drunks”, are twelve-year olds like short drunks with hangovers?

12 the most difficult age? Hardly. My 12 year old is just cruising. All the fun and none of the responsibility. He’ll never have it so good again. But then again, maybe I’m just blind to the difficulties he’s facing - that would be typical of my form on these sorts of things. I’m not very perceptive.

This video is fantastic. It’s a tough age, but part of what makes us who we are.
I hope they all have wonderful lives and get to live their dreams as much as possible.

1 Like

Being 12 is horrific if you have gender dysphoria. Your body is developing in the wrong way and no-one believes you.

2 Likes

“I really want to get into a good high school”.

So sad. That wasn’t a thing when I grew up, where I grew up.

How old do I have to be to be my third toddler?

I dunno, 12 wasn’t so bad from what I recall. Grade school was tougher, since if you’re a little weird or different (as most of us here probably are) you are bullied mercilessly.

The large class sizes, tween/teen angst, and whatever else meant a reprieve from most of that. YMMV.

1 Like

Of course you are correct . Like I said, I am pretty shallow when it comes to this stuff. Apologies for commenting from my narrow world view without considering the variety of circumstances within which people live.

2 Likes

Age 12 was horrific enough for me and I didn’t have that extra pressure. That must’ve just been awful.
12 was when shit started to go wrong for me. Fucking dark shit, bad times all round. 12 sucked and it didn’t get better for a looong time.

Ick. I gotta go look at something pretty and stoopid now.

3 Likes

Ick. I gotta go look at something pretty and stoopid now.

I attended four schools in two countries between ages 12 and 13. Nothing really bad happened, it just completely destroyed my self confidence for a lot of my early teens.

5 Likes

And @SmashMartian and @the_borderer, we need a group therapy session for our memories of being 12… What got me through that time was Star Trek, David Lynch (mostly Twin Peaks), and lots and lots of books… But we’re all okay now, right?

Here is a cute penguin, you guys, it’ll make us feel better…

And all I can think about is my kid is this age now.

5 Likes

Today? Shit yeah. Sometimes stuff sneaks up, that’s all. Makes me wonder why you can’t ever really rid yourself of those demons. Sentiment, maybe. Familiarity. Something like that.

With someone as smart and badass as you in their corner, I’d feel pretty confident about their ability to deal with any of the crap life throws their way.

7 Likes

And MMDV. It was in junior high that the bullying was the worst. I didn’t have the right clothes, I didn’t live in the right part of town, and I was smart. This is not a good combination for a 12 year old girl.

3 Likes

12 was my worst year. I’m glad I’ve never gotten quite that depressed again. I’m 35 now. My anxiety problems have gotten worse in some ways but I’ve still felt way more in contol of my life since getting out of my early teens.

I’m really glad I escaped Catholic school into a magnet high school because I was starting to take a bad turn. Getting into school with the smart weirdos was the beginning of hope.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.