How Ben Shapiro exploits Facebook's networks of "racial bias, religious bigotry, and violence" to reach a huge audience

I did that years ago and I’m glad I did, but it has consequences. I now can’t join an activist group because I can’t prove that I am not a fascist infiltrator from my social media history (I don’t have one anymore, except for a reddit account).

3 Likes

Facebook is still the main method of communication for some communities. I believe that these communities would be happy to use something better if it was available, but that’s not the case yet.

1 Like

Any activist group that thinks/requires a social media history will/to prove bona fides is doing it wrong.

I despair. Social media is one of the most anti-social technologies, ever developed.

They should be happy to use something less good (functionally) if it were better ‘socially’ (i.e. not dependent on ‘engagement’ (hate) for revenue to keep the servers up.)

But no, I do not know what that is. I’m sure there are several options, though, but they probably involve a modicum of inconvenience compared to fuckbook, and we can’t have that, now, can we?

3 Likes

Indeed, having the more than ten thousand people following each of these groups move to another platform would not be an easy accomplishment. Other example could be local NAACP or UCLA chapters. Facebook provides a way to interconnect to an important segment of the population and it is not easily replaceable, as far as I know.

im still hoping for the emergence of some sort of “peer-to-peer” rss reader(*). if i can post to my phone small bits of data, and other people can subscribe to my feed and vice-versa, then the only thing missing is the advertiser, publishers, and private groups that are the source of the toxicity… and the development money.

to me more maddening than facebook is nextdoor because community run bbses are a solved problem and have been for 30-40 years. that one still completely baffles me.

(*) presumably you’d need servers to actually pass around the feeds since there’s nothing on a phone that can broadcast the feed otherwise. and… it’s probably the servers that are non-trivial unless people start getting their own (web) servers as a thing again.

From article:

Zuckerberg responded Friday to the growing criticism about misinformation on the site, announcing the company would label all voting-related posts with a link encouraging users to look at its new voter information hub.

“You are now leaving Facebook for a fact checking site.”

Fact checking site: “Welcome to Facebook!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.