How black hole winds blow

[Permalink]

My favourite ‘artist’s impression’ of an astronomical scene was a that of a dark galaxy, posted by The Register.

1 Like

I can see how it could radiate around the equator, if the hole is spinning and slingshotting infalling matter. But how can it emit equally in all directions? I can’t even picture that geometry…

Where the hell is Maggie?

I think this sums it up best.

1 Like

So SOME things are able to escape black holes. Like wind…I guess.

The light and particles of the wind never actually crossed the event horizon, so no, they didn’t escape the black hole. At least, not the inescapable part.

Here’s how I understand Quasars (I’m not an artist, so I’m not apologizing for the poor quality.)

ETA: the image preview isn’t showing up. I think the site’s optimizing it, and it’ll show up in a minute or two.

Supermassive black holes at the cores of galaxies blast radiation and ultra-fast winds outward

Apparently they have a lot in common with your mom.

Really this article is talking about a quasar, not strictly a black hole. A black hole by itself can emit energy and matter, but the emission itself is from matter falling into the accertion disc, where eventually matter and energy will be ejected at the poles of rotation.

I think LDoBe is only partially right with the drawing. I’m not an astro-anything, but this is how I understand a quasar. The first two pictures shown are more or less correct. At the center, or core, is a massive black hole. A good distance away from the Schwarzschild radius (which is what most people kind of think of when you say event horizon) is a layer of gas and dust. This gas and dust is being compressed by the gravitational forces of the black hole with such force that you get frictional heating and other things going on that release light and lower levels of energy. Now due to a bunch of conservation of energy issues (like angular momentum) something does not fall straight into a black hole. And much like an ice skater moving their arms and legs in to spin faster so will a black hole, unless the amount of mass decreases as it falls in.

So now what you have is a sphere of unstable gas falling into the accretion disc of this massive black hole. The disc that forms basically slows down the incoming matter and part of it ends up migrating toward the poles and is ejected along with a great deal of energy. However since you still have a ball of super heated gas and other matter surrounding all this, I assume, you get dispersion in all directions due to the differences in mass, densities, angular velocities, ect…

Or they work like magnets…

1 Like

Actually, it sounds like you are spot on. The matter in the accretion disk becomes ionized and charged particles moving thru a magnetic field emit radiation.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.