How can civilian spacecraft be so heavily armed in most sci-fi settings?

Nice pull that you can (correctly!) remember Oberlindes’ first name.

1 Like

Oh I meant more that the “fan” butthurt apocalypse had already begun with this minor, non-canon change.

My guess is that in the Book of Boba Fett they will make it very clear that the ship was named after Boba Fett’s own escape from slavery and he will decide to rechristen it now that he has moved to a new phase of his life. Maybe “Indigestible I” to commemorate his survival from the sarlacc pit

5 Likes

Yeah, science fiction has long employed European colonialism stories, but I mean that the “space = Europeans colonizing North American frontier minus the natives" thinking has infected even discussions about real space exploration. I frequently see people arguing that space exploration isn’t hard because Europeans colonized North America, which is just nuts. And it’s an idea that comes straight from those science fiction narratives.

5 Likes

The reality is more like “we colonized Antarctica with 250 people and they are all basically bonkers and spend a lot of their time making hooch in their rooms”.

And even that is 1000 times easier than space.

9 Likes

I finally WTFV, and I agree with their points. The age of sea exploration is exactly the parallel I thought of as well.

Wait - there is a video we are supposed to be talking about?

1 Like

It doesn’t get mentioned often, but both Star Wars and Star Trek (and Stargate for that matter) at least occasionally point towards a single or small handful of precursor races that already colonized the galaxy/universe millions of years prior and laid the groundwork of terraforming and seeding biospheres, then either destroyed themselves, destroyed each other, or otherwise departed. Having a creator god works wonders for some things.

4 Likes

Yup, God is a great plot device.

3 Likes

Where he doesn’t exist, we’ve consistently found it necessary to invent him

5 Likes

I’ve always been more interested in why the hell all the aliens looked and acted more-or-less the same as earth people. Star Trek was the worst at this… Alien species even interbreeding? (resulting in Spock). If there was an explanation along the lines of “100,000 years ago, an alien species grabbed a bunch of humans to use as workers, and left colonies of them scattered around the galaxy” I could maybe buy that as a contrived explanation…

Considering that Space is Big, Mind-boggling Big, I can live with the idea that there are other planets out there which are similar enough to earth that humans could survive on them. There wouldn’t be many, but with billions upon billions of stars with planets floating around them, even vanishingly small odds would mean there are a few.

There is an in-universe explanation along those lines. It’s that an ancient humanoid species seeded countless planets with DNA code that would direct evolution to produce species that looked roughly like them.

Picard, being an archaeologist by training, finds that one out.

8 Likes

The out of universe explanation has to do with minuscule costuming budgets, and readily available supplies of humanoid bipeds.

10 Likes

Yeah, someone eventually realized they really needed a justification for the tv/movie laziness.

Once again canon has you covered. During Enterprise, Tripp and T’pol had a child but genetic manipulation/scifi medical advances were needed to make it happen. Even then, the kid didn’t live long. A hundred years later we can assume that was solved resulting in Spock. Other hybrids in Trek are usually not really covered as to the how, or direct mention of medical assistance is used.

The real question you need to ask is, why were Cardassians so good at knocking up Bajoran women? Or at least did Dukat have super sperm?

If Disney, or more likely somebody making a parody, wants to take advantage of a branding opportunity, they’ll name it Pepto-Bismol or Nexxium. Or did the sarlacc shit him out? The Ex-Lax Express has a certain ring to it; it even goes along with X-Wing fighters, and back to the thread’s usual programming.

1 Like

Limitations in effects. Though on occasion they would have some distinct cultural differences for a plot device.

I do really like the pulp sci-fi covers for the first half of the 20th century. Just some really gonzo looking aliens. It is neat.

I feel compelled to call out that one of the “sci-fi settings” in question is --in fact-- named Star Wars.
Seems pretty clear that weapons are going to be involved if staying on brand is important.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s going to change in canon. It’s just toy packaging. This is not new — in 1980 Kenner didn’t want to put “Executor” on a toy for children so they ended up calling the playset Darth Vader’s Star Destroyer. (Their ad agency wrote a memo suggesting 153 alternate names, including Starbase Malevolent, Black Coven, Haphaestus VII and Cosmocurse.)

5 Likes

5 Likes

Especially given that Cardassians are supposed to be reptiles

The thing I find weird is that Vulcans can’t donate blood to Romulans, despite having been the same people until about 2000 years ago- but Klingons can!

4 Likes