How can civilian spacecraft be so heavily armed in most sci-fi settings?

Presumably when the two civilizations split it was a disagreement between those with type A blood and those with type B.

10 Likes

If you’ve got a mile-long train of cargo containers and can accelerate to light speed, people have to get out of your way.

5 Likes

If you haven’t, you should probably watch Prospect. It’s got a Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but in space vibe. Good film.

2 Likes

Well, I know from playing visual novels that your personality is determined by your blood type, so that checks out.

6 Likes

That was the quite vocal reaction from our particular theater audience.

1 Like

That’s real Japanese science fiction, so to speak.

1 Like

You know how those family feuds build up over time.

2 Likes

If you have a train, you really want to travel on a clear track, not go “off road” into the trees and hope they move out of the way, though. Metaphorically speaking.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this for a bit…

Why do we have a problem with heavily armed civilian spaceships when Plains settlers tended to carry at least one rifle in their trek to find a new home along the Oregon Trail, but there’s nobody finding fault about portrayals of this sort in Western fiction?

2 Likes

All the stuff above about how it’s not applicable.

There is a default setting of armed in USian visions of most situations which isn’t necessarily useful. The Walking Dead for example where they cause more problems than they solve (none), or in a disaster zone where the IS response is to tool up rather than rescue (Somalia, New Orleans).

Like people carried guns for game. They gonna shoot space deer?

3 Likes

11 Likes

I see, and concede your point. There must be thirty to fifty of them there.

7 Likes

Ah, the yandere Romulans and the tsundere Vulcans.

1 Like

He said that he “installed an escape pod in the mandible notch” but he didn’t specifically call them “cargo mandibles.” So they’re definitely mandibles, but who knows what purpose they were designed for? Could be anything. Stealing poisonous parade balloons from maniacal clowns, perhaps?

:wink:

2 Likes

Perhaps thats why Lando ended up on Bespin? All that gas mining. The falcon would have been a perfect collection system.

1 Like

It’s not like the Native American Wars weren’t a thing back then (yet all the way up to 1924). First Peoples had a legitimate beef.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the tip. It is a kind of space-psychdelic-western. I liked how the movie looked like a french comic book by Moebius, Mézières or Bilal. It is weird and intriguing in a good way.

4 Likes

That was an element of The Forever War, along with the notion that shipbuilding resources could be stretch too thin to risk losing ships or make capturing them a goal.

1 Like

I don’t recall any armed civilian ships in B5.

True, the story was mainly about clashes of empires, and there wasn’t any room to drop something like that in. Smuggling armaments through B5 was the only problem close to it.

In the B5 universe, most ships had to go through jump gate choke-points, where they could be scanned and then hauled over for closer inspection. It was a major surprise in season 1 when they found out that the raiders had a mothership that could form jump-points.

2 Likes

A mile isn’t that much, even by our standards.

2 Likes