Trailer: Star Wars vs. Star Trek

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Great trailer, but for the love of Star Wars and Star Trek, nobody should ever actually make that film.

5 Likes

I thought the geek world had settled the Trek v Wars debate. Ship based shields and transporter tech means the Trek team wins the fight every time. After all, the Trek people could just transport bombs anywhere in the Wars ships an the Wars people couldn’t do a thing about it.

3 Likes

I always thought it would be an impasse because the Trek team can’t win without some redshirts getting shot for dramatic effect, and the stormtroopers wouldn’t be able to do it, because (except stunning Leia once and killing one Ewok) they’ve never managed to hit anything at all.

11 Likes

Why bother with bombs?

8 Likes

All this does to me is just prove how much the 2009 Star Trek film was really A New Hope in disguise. As much as I hate JJ, I am actually interested in his Star Wars since he has proven he knows how to work in that universe as he did by perverting Star Trek.

2 Likes

Needs more lens flare

4 Likes

I wonder if the Wilhelm Scream at 2:05 or so was in the original SW film?
Moar lens flare! Also, more cowbell.

2 Likes

In fairness, they were able to at least hit a planet when they aimed at it.

4 Likes

Yes - just because one has the ability to do something doesn’t mean that one should go and do it.

Why not just have McCoy beam over some antibiotic gas cylinders to kill off the Midi-chlorian infection?

Then he could just vaccinate them to stop reinfection…

1 Like

I suppose the guys lying on the floor are just napping?

3 Likes

It seems like they frequently forgot about that possibility on Star Trek also. I can think of a number of conflicts which could have been settled that way throughout the franchise.

But to back up a moment—who says there aren’t ship-based shields in Star Wars? People talked about shields all the time! Those awful bunny-eared frog-men from Phantom Menace even had shield-equipped dinosaurs. The only reason the second Death Star relied on an external shield generator was because it was still under construction. (Admittedly, I don’t think anyone ever explained why the first one didn’t.) I guess nobody ever stated whether those were the right kinds of shields to disrupt a molecular transporter from a different sci-fi franchise, but as long as it’s all made-up technology anyway who is to say they weren’t?

2 Likes

Didn’t we already have this discussion? The only time they were terrible shots was when they wanted them to rescue the princess and escape, so that they could track their ship with a homing beacon. The rest of the time they’re pretty crack shots.

2 Likes

meh, Star Wars ship fires a missile at you and it is thrust powered and you can dodge it. Trek fires torpedoes that travel 9x times speed of light.
Ok…ok… I’m fan baiting. I’ll stop stirring the pot.

1 Like

I don’t remember seeing any torpedoes that travelled faster than—ohhh.

5 Likes

Thanos gets the Infinity Gauntlet, beats everybody. Boom, done.

Hypothesis: budget cuts.

1 Like

What about… getting Kirk and/or Spock, and possibly others, infected, join the Dark Side, overthrow the Emperor, take over the Empire, arm up, and go conquering the Federation?

I for one would love to see Scotty in the Death Star’s engines/reactor room.

1 Like

They already turned down the god like powers in Plato’s stepchildren. I guess they could always just ingest some kironide whenever they choose to…