Trailer: Star Wars vs. Star Trek

This was awful. I really can’t say much more than that.

Would anyone from the SW universe know what to do with antimatter? In Trek, you can practically have it on your breakfast toast. OTOH, is Dark Side Spock equivalent to Mirror Universe Spock?

In SW, scanners are the size of a large trunk, and are still less effective than TSA agents at finding rebels hiding in smuggler compartments. Trek scanners can pinpoint human lifesigns on a planet of Klingons – then beam them up!

I would like to see an X-wing vs. a Peregrine fighter, about the only matchup that makes sense.

2 Likes

shouldn’t this be called “Trek vs. The Empire”? because i didn’t see any rebellion people represented here.

1 Like

IIRC, the main weapon used in space combat in Star Wars is the turbolaser. And at least according to one episode of ST:TNG, lasers simply can’t penetrate shields.

The first Death Star had the standard shields, except for the thermal exhaust ports.

There really isn’t any definitive way to compare Star Trek and Star Wars technology. I think hyperspace drives [Star Wars] achieve shorter travels times than warp drives [Star Trek] which achieve far shorter travel times than jump drives [Traveller], but I don’t know. I know transporters exist in Star Trek and not in Star Wars, but there could be path dependencies involving the risks of early transporters and/or religious objections.

After a couple battles, each side will have captured vehicles (and weapons, and other gear) of the other side.

Then it is about technical intelligence, aka TECHINT. And the speed of getting the reverse-engineered systems into battlefield-ready production.

See FM 34-54 for contemporary methods, which I assume won’t be that much different in other universes:
https://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm34-54.pdf

Edit: I can imagine a mission like detonating neutron bombs (maybe in the form of mines or other traps?) in the vicinity of the enemy vessels to neutralize the crews, then capturing the targets for analysis.

They did exist in Star Wars until someone at Disney decided they didn’t.

I think the Federation would have an enormous advantage at this. From what we see on the shows, it’s routine for Starfleet engineers to effect repairs to alien technology, even in first contact situations. They simply board the alien ship and immediately set to work, and rarely express any difficulty in identifying the components of complex systems constructed by civilizations they’ve never encountered before.

In the Star Wars universe, supposedly technology has been stagnant for millenia, so there doesn’t seem to be any opportunity for such reverse engineering.

3 Likes

…because they let The Beancounters to control the R&D priorities…

2 Likes

Trek Wars?
Wouldn’t be a very long movie… The Daleks would exterminate all of the Cylons before the opening credits finish, so the rest of the movie would just feature Thermians attempting to get some clueless actors to save them.

5 Likes

Maybe you mean mach 9? Because all the movies show torpedoes actually moving through space, Even if the ships are actually thousands of kilometers apart, the theoretical minimum distance of ship to ship combat, you shouldn’t be able to see the torpedoes at all.

It’s not totally clear how it works, but in general, it seems that photon torpedoes can be launched while at warp speeds, and continue at speed. In Star Trek: The Motion Picture, there’s a plot point about how after the refit, phasers no longer work while at warp, but photon torpedoes still do. In Star Trek Into Darkness, there’s a plot point about newly invented warp-capable torpedoes.

There’s also a bit in STID about how photon torpedoes have enough range to reach Qo’nos from the “neutral zone” – but it’s not at all clear what “neutral zone” they’re talking about, since the Enterprise goes right into orbit around Qo’nos.

1 Like

See the hand positions? The triumphant Vader? I’m going with ‘force choked’.

1 Like

And the resigned “if you want to get it done well you have to do it yourself” expression of his mask?

2 Likes

I see it! Now that you mention it, the guy behind him does look like he’s saying something like “hey, well, these blasters are super hard to aim. And the guys were moving around a bit! We should have shotguns for that kind of deal”.

Also, every breath making the “I see I have to win the war by myself” sigh-sound.

2 Likes

The lasers used in Star Wars have some rather unusual properties though, including

• Blasts that travel considerably slower than bullets
  • Clearly visible in the vacuum of space
  • Surprisingly noisy
  • Recoil
  • The ability to be deflected in another direction if hit by a sword that is also supposedly made of energy

So really all bets are off.

5 Likes

ok not to get too in to it but Trek torpedoes are warp capable. That is not to say they always move at that speed, only that they can. Again, I was just stirring the pot. I really don’t care who wins the imaginary fight.

I’m in line at the movie theater right now, waiting for tickets. Anyone want me to save a spot?

2 Likes

True that. When the Superpowers fight, the best tactics is to lay low until the situation gets clear, and then join the winner.

Who survives the war, wins it.

1 Like