How can women disrupt male speech domination?

That was the sentence I needed to read before going to bed, thank you!

10 Likes

(As a complete a total derail, me and a couple other engineers scrounged up ladders to get to oranges that I later made into marmalade)

7 Likes

Well, the printing press was a major enabling technology.
Also, the age of steam and the industrial revolution roughly coincided.

Sexist. :stuck_out_tongue:

Getting down is the easy part. Surviving there is where it gets complicated.

Somebody had to figure out how to control fire, how to shape rocks, how to attach the shaped rocks first to spears and then to arrows. And so on.

Sweet!

What university did those paleolithic engineers graduate from?

In other words, why do you assume that the people figuring out all those pre-historic practical solutions were classed as “engineers”, and even more specidfically, MALE engineers?

5 Likes

The history is full of engineers who didn’t need a stinkin’ university, whether they were self-taught and/or learned via apprenticeship. No reason to expect it to be any different in the paleolithic era.

Developing and handling technologies (fire, rock shaping, material joining, later metallurgy…), often cutting edge for the era. Not sure if males but given the higher probability of male brain to be of the systemizing nature [citation], I wouldn’t be surprised.

“Empathizing–systemizing theory” Wow. That is ridiculously binary thinking. Maybe that’s why we keep butting heads.

7 Likes

Well, you rarely find both properties maxed up simultaneously. There’s also the factor of opportunity cost, as when you are practicing A, you usually pay for it by not practicing B at the same moment. You can likely find some edge cases that contradict this, but they are just the edge cases.

Explains Ayn Rand’s popularity in certain sectors…

1 Like

No one is actually not arguing that engineers haven’t made important and useful contributions to society. But this isn’t a thread about that. It’s a thread about how men can have a tendency to talk over women in professional settings. This is true in any number of fields. Society is built on a number of layers, not just a singular one. As @OtherMichael, women contribute a number of things to society, historically and today, they are supposed to be able to contribute on any number of levels, including engineering.

We would really appreciate it if you would stop co-opting threads about this topic. If you want to talk about engineers, then, please, start a thread and I’m sure lots of would be happy to contribute. No one thinks it’s unimportant, but rather, that discussion is off-topic on this topic.

18 Likes

I think it’s actually quite useful to have an example of how, no matter how many different ways women try to get a point across, they are stymied by men who:

• Tell them they don’t understand what they’re talking about;
  • Insist that their ideas aren’t worth considering;
  • Point out that they are lesser human beings;
  • React to differing points of view on an emotional level; and
  • Steer the discussion away from the subject at hand to become self-serving instead.
14 Likes
  • Insist they are the true victims
11 Likes

This one especially and then we’re the “bad guys” for suggesting that there might be a problem that is specific to women.

6 Likes

A bit late, and maybe I should have read the rest of the tread. But are you able to tell me why I don’t run into this issue online. (Or even better, online when talking with unknown sex). As also a bad reader of the unspoken, I run into this issue. But also run into the fact that lot of ‘man’ think ‘Oh a woman, there be dragons/lots of unspoken things.’ So, and my quotes: “We don’t even try”.

3 Likes

Online, you’re not as obviously a woman. Especially because you don’t use a recognizably feminine profile name or picture. Men assume the default is another man unless given clues otherwise.

I seem to remember an article – maybe 10-12 years ago? – in which researchers were able to pin down how many clues (long hair, no noticeable adam’s apple, etc.) it took for the average guy to decide the sex in a photograph of a stranger was female. Furthermore, it would actually bother the test subject to not be able to immediately assign a sex to the person in the photo.

9 Likes

And often they still won’t acknowledge the women in the room. Good times.

5 Likes

Maybe thats why they assume people they are talking to online are men, because otherwise they wouldn’t be talking to them.

9 Likes

21 Likes

For some weird reason, I want that to be the comic Kathy?

5 Likes

It’s the antithesis of a Cathy comic!

1 Like

I know, which is why it’s weird I want it to be a Kathy comic!

1 Like