How Cuba's greatest cartoonist fled from Castro and created 'Spy vs. Spy'

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/15/how-cubas-greatest-cartoonis.html

8 Likes

Time for the gritty feature film reboot.

3 Likes

Kuper is a enviably talented cartoonist and his other collections of work (especially his memoirs) are absolutely worth your time and money. I can’t think of another artist better suited to carry the Spy vs Spy torch.

1 Like

Wonderful! Also my favorite! But…

“oddly pointy-faced”???

They’re crows, right? Right???

2 Likes

Anyone ever play the NES game? It was fun once you got the hang of it.

2 Likes

I would recommend the Argentinian cartoonist Quino as well, though he’s relatively unknown in the US. He created a strip similar to Peanuts called after the main character (Mafalda), but with more political/societal commentary and Schultz from Peanuts had previously said that he was a fan of his work. Quino is also really well known for creating more direct political/social cartoon strips for publications. Some with dialogue and some wordless, but the drawings are phenomenal and clever.

I’m a giant fan if you can’t tell :smiley:

5 Likes

Ron Howard was attached to an adaptation once upon a time.

3 Likes

I would not mind a Spy Vs Spy movie, something akin to Peter Sellers version of Pink Panther would be totally up my alley. Or a movie similar to Snatch or Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, where things slowly get more and more crazy and out of hand the closer the movie gets to the end.

3 Likes

That was actually a port of an 8-bit computer game.

1 Like

@frauenfelder for me the order of reading MAD was Spy vs Spy first, then Don Martin, then AL Jaffe (also interesting life story) then the rest.

2 Likes

I loved those as a kid. It’s nice know there was an exemplary human being behind them :relaxed:

2 Likes

An example.

6 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.