How Daft Punk chopped and flipped a disco sample to create "One More Time"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/02/23/how-daft-punk-chopped-and-flipped-a-disco-sample-to-create-one-more-time.html

3 Likes

For another example, see this fun edit from 11 years ago about The Prodigy’s Smack My Bitch Up.

This is Sampling 101, but considering the popularity of that tweet, looks like there’s more than lucky 10,000!

6 Likes

This is the sort of thing that shows that sampling isn’t necessarily lazy and uncreative.

2 Likes

A few years ago someone put together a list of original songs Daft Punk sampled from (sorry, I don’t remember the source or I’d link it) that I made into a Spotify playlist:

2 Likes

The Prodigy breakdown was wonderful.

1 Like

Hearing the Eddie Johns track blows my mind. How much money was spent on these records-? those are real strings, a real real section, percussion folks, drummer, bass guitarist, regular guitar, etc. All for a side that probably came and went within a matter of weeks, and only in the clubs. Amazing.

1 Like

I like this as an example

(the song is at 8:06)

People have pointed out that it is just chopping up a wave to create new sounds, but that is the basis of creative sampling.

2 Likes

Huh, a youtube video that is simple, concise, and to the point. Bloody marvellous.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.