How Darth Vader's amazing final scene in Rogue One happened

Yep. As much as I dug the rest of it, this is the best scene in the movie, IMO. It’s the first time we’ve ever seen Vader be fucking TERRIFYING.

8 Likes

Watching how Rogue One and Ep 4 work against each other it does seem to lessen some of the story beats and reveals of Ep 4. The viewer is not intended to be in the know of how Leia is initially, what she’s up to, where the plans came from, etc.

Not saying that Rogue One was a mistake, i think its a phenomenal modern SW movie, but it does alter the impact of Ep 4.

1 Like

The opening crawl of ANH seems to disagree with you on that point.
"It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire’s ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire’s sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy…"

Nothing in Rogue One changes these facts presented to the viewer.

9 Likes

Looking at the video that was posted yesterday, blending the end of Rogue One and Ep 4 and you see how they edited and filmed the opening scene i would say that my observation makes sense. They way Leia is shown makes sense if the viewer is coming fresh not knowing who she is.

1 Like

So, I’m not sure I agree. Wait, I agree that it changes the impact of certain reveals in ANH. Sure. But I don’t agree that it’s for the worse.

For one, we knew about the plans, from the crawl, and from Vader’s own questions.

Two, we know have much better insight as to how those plans were stolen and the desperate attempt to escape with them. This puts the droids later jeopardy in an entirely new context (Example: “R2! Tell 3PO about your mission so he doesn’t just abandon you in the desert!”).

Changed yes, but not necessarily for the worse.

3 Likes

The thing I love the most about this scene is the way it encapsulates the theme of sacrifice that suffuses the entire film. This is a movie about the real heroes – everyday Joes who don’t have any superpowers, but are willing to put everything on the line for what’s right. Every one of the guys in the corridor knows that he’s fucked, but they all knowingly go to their deaths just to buy a little more time to get the plans to the ship. In the other Star Wars movies the rebels who weren’t Luke, Han, or Leia were all faceless cannon fodder, but here their real heroism comes through.

14 Likes

No offense to editors intended. I don’t know first hand how important the job is, but I can easily appreciate what they are able to contribute.

What I am really displeased with is knowing that the best part/idea of the (otherwise dull) movie almost never even happened, and the entire story dept missed it, twice.

2 Likes

I thought Rogue One was pretty well paced, the problem was with the writing not allowing for enough character development. At least for me in particular :slight_smile:

The issue i have with the scene at the end of Rogue One is Vader’s pep when compared to the original trilogy. It’s been a while since i’ve seen them but i don’t recall Vader being physically that energetic. Does anyone here have a better memory of how the physicality of the character compares between movies or what the explanation may be within the logic of the movies?

1 Like

Those guys should get some grenades - or a shotgun- or just shoot at the same time so he can’t block them both.

Like the fight scene in Jean Claude Van Johnson when he’s surrounded by thugs and the guy says - no, no - go at him one at a time- like in the movies.

3 Likes

Film is a collaborative effort and yes, sometimes the best scene/idea doesn’t get created until well into post production when you start assembling footage and you realize you need something more to tie it all together.

Not enjoy the film all you want, but to consider this film dull? That I can not understand at all.

3 Likes

Okay so he’s the one guy that pulls The Lever, being the one guy that connects I-III and IV-VI together.

But back up a minute.

What does The Lever actually do?

First thought: “Well, obviously, that releases the docking mechanism which keeps the Tantive IV moored to the Squidward III)”

But really? You’ve got the ability to travel great distances at light speed without experiencing time dilation, but you need a manual release lever in order to disembark?

Second thought: “It’s an emergency release lever! Duh!”

But look again, it’s got no emergency placard, no signage, no colors indicating that “pulling this lever will cause the ship to become untethered to its dock, possibly resulting in grievous harm to both the ship, the dock, and anyone in the near vicinity.”

Maybe it’s just a fire alarm pull, and it’s something that, ever since he was a new recruit, he’d always wanted to pull? And, well, this just seemed like a Perfect Moment.

4 Likes

Have you seen the lack of railings around deep chasms in this universe?

Warning Placards don’t even register

14 Likes

Star Wars has always had lots of stunted tech that doesn’t seem to make sense with it’s futuristic leanings. (data tapes where we have holographic projections, ewoks defeating armed troops, etc.)

3 Likes

Union laws. You get rid of that lever, you’re putting that guy out of a job. He’s got kids to feed.

13 Likes

I think the transition is perfect and watching it, seeing how young Leia is in ANH – the rendered Leia isn’t as bad as I thought the 5 or 6x I saw it in the theater.

Only thing I find remarkable is that Vader is so tired after kicking all that ass on the flagship, he seems exhausted on the Tantive IV. Also the Rebels on the Tantive IV should be FAR THE FUCK MORE SCARED of whats gonna come through that door.

“Its Jedi!” is the best scream that comes out of that hallway on the flagship. Those guys are scared shitless and effortlessly get torn up by Vader. On Tantive IV Vader seems out of steam and is back to being a boring thug like he was earlier in Rogue One.

2 Likes

Jyn had a well defined character and I still wasn’t emotionally attached.
My boredom came from the clunky exposition, some of the dialogue felt like canned political or moral speeches.

I agree with the vader pep, but its just an unfortunate reality that they had developed better jedi tricks and better fighting techniques over the years, making the ANH obiwan vs vader duel look absolutely static now.

This from the people who design mile-high conduits without railings?

6 Likes

I’ve said it before and I will say it again. The man (who is more machine than man) pulled a hammy in that hall fight. He over exerted himself taking down those rebels. He is tired and hurting but still has a job to do. He can never show weakness in front of his men so he pushes through the best he can. In fact, he is still hurting days later when he confronts Obi Wan thus his fight there is so stiff and awkward. Kudos to Obi for sensing this and meeting him on equal ground.

4 Likes

At the end of Rogue One they could have had him suffer wounds or injuries from an explosion, or something along those lines as a result from his aggressive attack on the rebels to stop the plans from escaping his grasp? The timeline wouldn’t quite work as far as him recovering so quickly between that and Ep 4 though. Hmm

See before Rogue One, Vader was plenty bad ass just walking through the door. Everyone was scared and deferential and you KNEW he was the baddest ever.

Having seen Rogue One, knowing what he did in the hallway, Vader seems hobbled and not as bad ass as Vader ought to be. He went from really ripping shit up to walking behind the troops.

Maybe you are right, he pulled something or had a bad glass of blue milk.

2 Likes