How Darth Vader's amazing final scene in Rogue One happened

True but he still trained for the empire. Otherwise they would have never put a gun in his hands at any point. The fact that they did points to his skill and performance being good enough to serve. But watching the movie you’d never think that he was ever brought up in that field

Edit: Here’s some background info that does support my assertion. In there they mention a book that takes place before the movie. I quote:

“Greg Rucka’s excellent book Before the Awakening, Nines trained and served on a squad with Finn (then FN-2187) in the First Order”.

So Finn was receiving military training.

She didn’t know which Wedge to give the medal to, is all.

2 Likes

My fan theory is simple: in the Rogue One scene, Vader has a sense of urgency – the plans are RIGHT THERE and he’s trying to get at them before they’re spirited away. Once the Tantive IV is captured and in the hold of the Star Destroyer, that sense of ugency is gone, so he’s content to let his underlings handle business.

10 Likes

The director says his method is to create some really cool images and then find ways to link them in the storyline…

So where in the story is the really cool image of Vader shotgunning from a beer bong? I feel shortchanged.

1 Like

Oh sure, he had training for sure (the fight against Nines showed he knew how to handle himself) just that his mental conditioning to be a soldier failed on Jakku and led him to this new path.

For Finn entirely, maybe the later films will delve into him more. Perhaps he is more special (maybe not Jedi but perhaps force sensitive) and that helped fuel his convictions.

Right after Krennic visited him in his spooky castle? Might explain why he was so late getting to the battle of Scarif. Or maybe right before he boards the MonCala flag ship. I can foresee this scene:
Trooper 1: I bet you can’t kill 8 rebels all on your own Lord Vader
Vader: I find your lack of faith disturbing, here…hold my beer. Let me show you how its done.

6 Likes

I remember reading about a study done by the Army on trained soldiers missing their targets in battle. It seems no matter how much you train them, a certain percentage will just intentionally miss or never even fire their weapon. Maybe Finn was one of those people.

3 Likes

And hey, there is another plausible explanation of the differences between Vader in RO and ANH. Drunk off his ass on IPA (Imperial Palpatine Ale) he is loose and “feeling no pain” as he cuts through those rebels like they were butter under his knife. Then, after the buzz wears off in orbit of Tatooine he realizes his mistake and his now paying for it in pain and suffering throughout his body.

1 Like

I’m more focused on his overall demeanor. How he talks, behaves and carries himself. I’ve known people that have been out of the military for years and still carry themselves a certain way. Finn on the other hand acts like he’s never had any training. Which is the crux of my observation that annoys me about him.

1 Like

He is awful loose and comfortable for a guy who until recently was just a number.

3 Likes

Are you kidding me? Palpatine wouldn’t know what pleasure was even if it spanked his ass. Why would he have an ale?

He’d probably be a Weizenbier kind of guy.

3 Likes

Only named in his honor to curry favor with the emperor. The brewer also added a secret ingredient to help lower midiclorians in the sperm count of drinkers to help keep future jedi populations down.

2 Likes

I loved this scene. I was cloose to cheering in the theater, really! This is Vader as you want to see him. Menacing, terrifying even. An unstoppable, relentless force of nature, cutting down those who stand in his way like an angry ancient dark god. This is why Vader has been voted greatest fictional villian, so many times in the last decades. And it was neccesssary after he was flanderized so badly in the prequels.

2 Likes

If you haven’t seen it, check out his appearance in the S2 finale of the Rebels cartoon. He is equally menacing there.

Spoiler:

He goes up against his old Padawan Ahsoka. She manages to land a blow breaking his mask. They sound mixed James Earl Jones and the Anakin voice actor from Clone Wars cartoon in a super creepy way when he talked. Still gives me goosebumps

EDIT: I too was near cheering that scene but the I realized I would be cheering a bad guy brutally murdering a bunch of good guys and thought “use your internal monologue today”

4 Likes

I doubt the empire provided very good health care either.

Actually, now that I think of it, maybe more stormtroopers were more reliant on Obamacare than the GOP expected.

2 Likes

I would LOVE to see Vader telling someone to hold his beer. Would he use the force to hand it to them? Looks like I’ve got homework.

1 Like

You mean when the Emperor was in charge?

and they don’t even have email or the Internet!

1 Like

Yes but the senate was still used to manipulate the empire until they outed the Death Star and abolished it in favor of regional governors.