How did Juul burn out so quickly?

7.5 years, digital not analog
30yr+ nicotine addict

My anecdote (plural is NOT data) - I tell people the best advice I got was to pick ANYTHING but a tobacco flavor, so if [when] I end up with an original cancer stick in my hands (due to dead battery, broken atomizer, insert_murphy) it is the most disgusting thing and I do NOT want another. (Bar, dead battery, 1.5yr ago…yeah, that strategy worked) Oh, and the [TMI ALERT] lack of coughing up various yellow to brown globules every morning means I find a digital delivery system “healthier”.

For the record, my day to day vape was shut down by the prior Fed decision to make flavor approval a 50k per size per strength cost only Big Tobacco could afford…killing small business opportunities and a really excellent flavor (Fog Nector, Vape Attic, Olathe KS … RIP). I ended up buying the last of their stock which I figured was about a 2yr supply, and I’ve since been looking for a replacement. I now recommend Hi-Drip Nectorine Lychee…a smooth and easy flavor available in 0mg, 3mg, and 6mg.

Gracchus, I am one of those Frootie Pebblie™ people, and Blue Raspberry Jollie Ranch’r ™, and other fruit + sweet users…now, I DID find them too much and couldn’t get through more than a 30mL before switching back to my old stand-by, but you can’t choose a person’s “right” flavor that helps them resist going back to loose leaf tobacco products.

PS. I fucking HATE that I’m addicted, I hate even MORE how Juul and their ilk target[ed] children and young adults, and I REGULARLY tell any child (human < 30yr these days) near me that I was a dumbass for making the choice to smoke when I was too young to be not-stupid (age 16-18) and now I’m fucking stuck with it. And yes, if the child is well known to me and of a certain age, I do use words to that effect. And for the younger set…I just don’t work blue for them, but they get the picture.

4 Likes

True, but regulators can determine whether a flavour or logo is mainly intended to attract children and adolescents (as opposed to curious adults who tend to immediately regret trying them). The vape manufacturers and distributors know that, which is why all they have to argue against it are the usual BS arguments that dance around the real issue.

I wish you and any other victim of the nicotine-addiction industry the best of luck getting the cancer stick monkey off your back.

4 Likes

I’m in Paris for vacation, and from the ad campaigns I’m seeing in the metro, I wouldn’t think Juul is failing.

That said, France does have a higher baseline of smoking than, say, California.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be a policy or cost decision by the NHS to withdraw Champix: it looks like the entire supply has been pulled from the UK and Europe by the manufacturer because of levels of nitrosamine contamination. No estimate when (or if) supplies will resume, which suggests it’s a systematic manufacturing issue.

4 Likes

Ah, I sit corrected.
My natural cynical assumption was cost-based.

1 Like

Paris was one of the last western democratic cities to ban indoor smoking. They held out for a long time and I was still shocked when they did it (but very very glad).

2 Likes

I’m sure this best thing that came out of the whole juul thing…

2 Likes

Negativland’s take:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.