Carcinogens, monopolies, influence-peddling: Juul is a microcosm with everything wrong in the world

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/27/kid-nic.html

2 Likes

Aw hell…here we go again.

17 Likes

Good news for an upcoming generation of lawyers, who get to take Big Tobacco to court (or defend them) all over again in ten years time.

5 Likes

It always gets bad when the twin Libertarian obsessions of “Mommy can’t tell me what to do!” and “the free market, blessed be Its name, doesn’t need government regulation” come together in one topic.

22 Likes

It’s really weird. So - you want to pay more for your drug?

12 Likes

5 Likes

“The infallible market dictates the price! Why do you hate capitalism?”

16 Likes

I’ve been slapped by the invisible hand much too often.

22 Likes

fY8mIXZ

15 Likes

Juul has also helped several of my friends quit smoking.

2 Likes

14 Likes

nicotine, a carcinogenic, highly addictive substance

Nicotine is not known to be a carcinogen (to the best of my knowledge - I’m not an expert). Other stuff in tobacco products are carcinogenic, of course. And some of those carcinogens have been detected in e-cigarette vapor, just in much smaller quantities. A good picture of the health risks still isn’t available. It sucks that a new generation is getting hooked on nicotine and making money for the jerks at Marlboro.

8 Likes

We already have a list of disappointed people; should we start one for incendiary topics that are likely to end badly?

We can add vaping to it:

• Bikes vs Cars
  • Hot Dog Condiments
  • Anything Jordaddy related
  • Knife Sharpening
  • Gun Control
  • Anything Muskrat related
  • Gender Equality/Consent
  • I’m sure I’m missing a few, here…
22 Likes

“nicotine, a carcinogenic, highly addictive substance”

I believe the jury is still out scientifically an whether nicotine is carcinogenic.

4 Likes

the vaping industry has gutted the smoking industry…

Worldwide? Or is this just the US?

1 Like

Must have missed the muskrat discussion. Sounds intriguing.

14 Likes

Don’t forget Apple!

9 Likes

Yes it is:

11 Likes

Juul just handed out $2 billion in dividends, making 1,500 employees into overnight millionaires; the cash came from Altria-Marlboro’s 35%, $12.8 billion buyout of the company – and everything about the story stinks.

Gee, as one who constantly bangs the drum of wealth inequality bad, one would thing you would at least begrudgingly approve of the profit sharing.

2 Likes

Some people are just Captain people. Some are Tennille people.

Muskrat

16 Likes