Carcinogens, monopolies, influence-peddling: Juul is a microcosm with everything wrong in the world

I have the feeling that you were waiting for unsuspecting me with that article: ready to throw it out like a ninja star. Consider my bubble bursted. I think I’ll start calling nicotine “cancer crack.”

2 Likes

Like any religion, the fanatics can be…dangerous.

4 Likes
  • Die Hard is too a Christmas movie.

Maybe we can petition for a new subboard, and call it “Holy Wars.”

7 Likes

Not wishing to defend the nicotine industry, but I’ve just spent a few minutes digging into that review and its conclusions don’t really fit with the original literature it cites. For example the original literature concludes that nicotine stimulates growth of an implanted pancreatic tumor and the review states that nicotine causes cancer in the pancreas. There’s a similar review from the same year https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4553893/ and that is very much more conservative on the claims i.e. Nicotine makes some cancers worse, but no obvious cancer causing studies existed in 2015 to definitively label nicotine as carcinogenic.
I still don’t recommend using nicotine in any form, but purer seems to be much less bad.
Interestingly, there’s a study where the nicotine rats had about a double survival rate compared to controls after 1 year: (44%) exposed and (26%) controls.

So, more research needed. Real question is, is it more carcinogenic than bacon?

8 Likes

Healthcare…

6 Likes

Yep; that’s a big one.

5 Likes

Finally - someone focused on the big questions.

2 Likes

How dare you insinuate that Muskrat Love is open to interpretation?!? There’s no reasoning with your kind, is there? Harrumph!

I shall consider the matter closed, and say to you, “Good day.”

Headphone jacks on mobile phones.

7 Likes

Bacon does not cause psychological or physical dependence, and those are my main reasons for avoiding nicotine.

9 Likes

That’s a necessity, not a topic.

:wink:

8 Likes

Bacon does not cause psychological or physical dependence…

For you maybe. I’m fiending for some bacon and cheesecake. Time to see what my dirty rat friends are up to.

2 Likes

According to some people it all went wrong with an apple.
Then again that’s another thread that ends badly.

10 Likes

Don’t most of them, though?

7 Likes

These days, pretty much. I’m guessing popcorn sales are through the roof though…

7 Likes

from that paper:

The cafeteria diet consisted of bacon, sausage, cheesecake, pound cake, frosting, and chocolate, which were individually weighed before being made available to the rats.

My money is on the cheesecake, pound cake, frosting, and chocolate having more effect than the bacon. Refined sugar seems to be addictive.

7 Likes

I am with the folk that think even the trees were a bad idea and we never should have left the oceans.

9 Likes

8 Likes

This is my personal experience with Juul, which of course is only one experience of many.

I had quit smoking for 10-years, never touched it, but started smoking again when I was living in South Sudan, for reasons. My roommate went to the US and came back with a Juul to ‘help me quit smoking’. I just started using the Juul in the office during the day and kept smoking cigarettes at night. It had no impact on my cigarette smoking and actually had the effect of increasing my nicotine use.

When I came back to my home country I stopped smoking cigarettes, because local laws make smoking very unattractive. But, I still cannot quit the Juul. In my experience (which is just my experience), the Juul is harder to quit than cigarettes. The Juul is convenient in a way that cigarettes aren’t, I can smoke inside, there is no unpleasant smell or mess associated with cigarettes. I feel confident that the Juul allows me to take in much higher levels of nicotine than I would have ever done using cigarettes, which of course makes it harder to quit.

Resettlement back home has been really difficult and I don’t feel ready yet to quit the Juul. I’m not proud of it!

14 Likes

It all went wrong with prokaryotes.

10 Likes