Carcinogens, monopolies, influence-peddling: Juul is a microcosm with everything wrong in the world

Blame it on the tardigrades?

13 Likes

Perhaps in a world where one only exists in absolutes, and cannot weigh the overall pro of a given boon from the con.

I’m guessing in your mind those “dividends” should be lauded because they will ostensibly end up the hands of the tobacco farmers and labourers involved in creating the products these employees just got mega-rich from? Because I don’t remember Boing Boing singing the praises of get-rich-quick startup techbro culture as a good thing in recent memory?

10 Likes

Juul is a microcosm with everything wrong in the world

Nah. While it might have a tangential relation to woo and fashion, you’d have to get pyramid schemes in there for completeness.

1 Like

As long as “disruption” is lionized, this is gonna happen.

Random cells become cancerous all the time, which are then usually destroyed by the immune system. So “nicotine making cancer worse” seems scary even if a person has neither symptoms nor diagnosis of cancer.

7 Likes

Odd. If anyone took a merchant’s stuff and openly tried to walk away without paying, there would be an expectation of immediate government intervention. Likewise copyright, trademark, patents, anti-hacking products you own laws, protectionist trade barriers against generic drugs. Lots and lots of those regulations.

It always seems to be the regulations that protect the little guy from products that are dangerous or don’t work as promised that somehow impede the mythical free market.

3 Likes

God got in big trouble with the HOA for ignoring the four-foot fence requirement around attractive nuisances.

7 Likes

So weird how anything other than “burning tree” flavor is considered “marketing to kids”. Cucumber is really a kid focussed flavor?

So any beverage that doesn’t taste like burnt wood is for kids, and the only thing adults like to drink is whisky?

1 Like

Gee, this thread went exactly as predicted. I’m all outta popcorn.

11 Likes

Fear not, the trolls and astroturfers will be reborn for the next one.

♬ Cornfields of popcorn have yet to spring open ♫

6 Likes

Photography, Typography, Architecture, What Is/isn’t Art, just off the top of my head :wink:

4 Likes

“Even if you want no state, or a minimal state, then you have to argue point by point. Especially since the minimalists want to keep the economic and police system that keeps them privileged. That’s libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” – Kim Stanley Robinson.

10 Likes

It doesn’t? looks at crispy bacon in hand

7 Likes

I’m eating a bacon and egg sandwich, right now

8 Likes

See! Clearly, you’re addicted!

7 Likes

7 Likes

I can quit bacon any time I want, and that time is never. They can have my bacon when they pry it from my greasy salt-licked fingers!

4 Likes

Nicotine addiction is a terrible, often inescapable curse upon many who use it. Smoking nicotine via tobacco, as well as its production and sale, has lead to countless deaths and illness, stains everything, is produced in part by slave labour, and has lead directly to at least one murder.

Anyone who believes that nicotine, now being available without being smoked, is somehow a panacea of harmless consumption is kidding themselves.

Regardless of the above, however, there are likely a great many folks who have felt powerless in their struggle to quit smoking. Alternative means of nicotine consumption (be it patches, gum, these vaporizers, or whatnot) have undoubtedly helped folks to reduce their reliance on smoking tobacco, or possibly to break the cycle of addiction altogether.

That there would be those who would sing the praises of these alternative methods and vociferously defend these products which may have played a significant role in allowing these individuals to have power over their addiction should likewise not be a surprise to anyone who has known those who are, or have been, under the influence of addictive substances.

While we’ve removed several users who chose to attack posters here or otherwise run vastly afoul of our community guidelines, it is inappropriate to declare those who post here in support of these products as astroturfers or shills. Please treat your fellow users with respect, while flagging posters or responses that you feel are being dishonest or are here under false pretenses for the mod team to investigate.

Thank you.

9 Likes

Roger wilco.

5 Likes

While looking around for info about headphone jacks I ran across a reddit thread on removable batteries for phones…

Basically it is like the same crowd that bitches and moans about the lack of a manual transmission option. Oh not gonna buy that new Supra if it doesn’t have a manual gearbox? Well it is unlikely you were going to buy it in the first place.