Carcinogens, monopolies, influence-peddling: Juul is a microcosm with everything wrong in the world

My phone has a 3.5 mm jack and a removable battery. Old school Nokia; the damn thing just won’t break.
All but one of the cars I have ever owned has had a manual transmission. I don’t own a car at the moment because I rarely need one; if I do need one I rent one via a car sharing scheme. Almost their whole fleet is manual transmission. Why? Where I live, manual is the standard option for practically all cars not in the premium range.
I’ve kept the motorcycle for fun.
I also smoke small cigars in a moderate amount.
I don’t do reddit though; there are other places on teh intertubes I feel more at home at.

2 Likes

knitting_love

2 Likes

[apologies for the off-topic response. Perhaps you can branch this and child comments off to a Meta topic]

Given that so much of the Internet is now fake, perhaps it’s time to expand the Spam flag’s description to include astroturfers/shills/paid trollies/bots, or perhaps create a new flag so you can investigate more efficiently.

“Vandalism” doesn’t quite convey what they’re doing when they show up, and they’re more propagandists than they are commercial advertisers. As amusing as it is to mock the clumsy rhetoric of the brand new accounts that show up to defend Russia and Putin and deny the interference in politics in the West, I’d rather be able to just flag them away as you recommend.

This problem is only going to get worse here in the future, and not just in regard to Topics related to Russia. The methods of disinformation and astroturfing that were pioneered by (and still used by) the nicotine-delivery industry and that were subsequently deployed by other bad actors (e.g.the NRA, the fossil fuel industry, American movement conservatism, and authoritarian regimes around the world) have been updated for the Internet age.

Certain of these bad actors do seem to target the BBS areas of high-traffic and influential sites like BoingBoing (along with MSM comment sections and social media sites) to push their garbage agendas, so making it clear here that they’re considered spammers or a different flaggable class might be useful for everyone.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.