Juul to pay $438.5m to end probe into teen marketing

Originally published at: Juul to pay $438.5m to end probe into teen marketing | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m sure they promised very nicely not to do it again, too…

Also, obligatory…

14 Likes

Thank you! I must add that to the post, clearly

6 Likes

Ok, I had never seen that before, but that ended up being way more entertaining than I expected it to be.

6 Likes

The poison is relatively cheap, the cure is on the other hand not.

7 Likes

Paying a large fine in order to end the investigation just screams "yes, we totally did everything you’re accusing us of, take this and go away, while we work out how to do it again "

Or in other words:

13 Likes

Bow Down Helena Bonham Carter GIF

6 Likes

From here:

They concluded that given JUUL’s net revenue was $1.3 billion in 2018, it made between $130 million and $650 million of its net revenue from youth, depending on consumption scenarios

So, $438M is cost of doing business.

10 Likes

We need the corporate death penalty.

11 Likes

Man, the Trumpf years have obliterated my irony radar. But fuck it - even if this is completely cynical viral marketing - this is fantastic.

3 Likes

Juul is getting pretty close, at least in terms of operating in the US. They already agreed to stop selling all flavored nicotine products except tobacco and menthol. Their revenue and market share have dropped considerably since then and as mentioned in the article a few months ago the FDA ordered them to stop selling all of their remaining products in in the US. That was stayed pending appeal, but between those actions and this fine it’s actually pretty serious for them. Of course the sales bans in the US do not apply throughout the rest of the world and this continues the long tradition of the US exporting health hazards that we don’t want for ourselves.

What would really help is to have the ban on flavored nicotine products actually enforced across the industry, not just for Juul.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.