How did Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey's account get hacked?

Oh, there’s plenty of room for things to get worse. It always seems impossible, but there is.

4 Likes

Itsworse

7 Likes

Sadly, no matter how bad anything is, there’s always a way for it to get worse.

That’s why you should never ‘temp fate’ by stating that “It cant get any worse” or asking “What’s the worst that could happen?”

6 Likes

whyNotBoth.gif

The entire progression of the Trump administration should be proof of that, in every respect. “Trump just can’t get any more incoherent or unbalanced.” (Every subsequent day:) “Looks like I was wrong.” “Yeah, his Secretary of Labor pick was really bad, but at least the next one can’t be any worse. What’s that? He was a sweatshop defender who literally advocated for slavery? I stand corrected.”*

Give Trump enough time and he’ll be extorting his followers to do some interesting arm gestures at his rallies to salute him while expounding on his theories about genetics and race… (I’m just hoping he’s not still in office by that point.)

*A true story.

6 Likes

I am temping fate right now.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’m not on twitter any more, but when I was twitter would auto-remove the Nazis for you if you said you are from Germany.

This won’t help with other far right arseholes though :frowning:

3 Likes

if twitter had any interest in public good they would cut trump off.

5 Likes

The easier explanation is that Jack simply forgot to switch accounts.

3 Likes

I see this:
So Xeni, are you saying Mr. Doctorow, of this very parish, is responsible!? Impressive! The plot thickens! etc.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

The old “I was hacked” excuse. How many times have we seen that before?

1 Like

Because one is a real problem, and the other isn’t really a problem?

But, I’m not Twitter. Odds are we’ll get a useless “edit this tweet to make it seem less racist after everyone screenshots it” first anyway.

I think if I get to this point, it’s probably I best leave the site as well. But it is a good tip.

I’m just sick of reporting account after account and not much happening as a result. Sure a few accounts get banned. BFD. Most of them are burner accounts, and nothing changes.

But I guess it’s hard to sell adverts to white supremacists if you ban them outright.

1 Like

The really funny thing is that if you remove your phone # from your Twitter account – which invalidates this attack vector – Twitter automatically disables all other forms of two factor auth! Including hardware keys, auth apps, etc.

There just aren’t enough facepalms to cover how ridiculously bad that is. SIM swapping is not a new attack, which is why you never attach your phone # to an account if you can avoid it… always use hardware 2FA keys, or at least a 2FA app on your smartphone, instead.

Good news is when I brought it up on Twitter someone with apparent power at Twitter (product lead at Twitter and co-founder of Periscope) at least responded that they’re going to fix it.

4 Likes

A friend of mine with more time and money than sense built a password cracking rig with a bunch of nVidia GTX1080s and ran it on some of the old hashed password database compromises, not sure if it was Yahoo or LinkedIn. In any case, IIRC he found an old password of Trump that was “you’re fired!”.

3 Likes

That’s probably the new launch code.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.