How editing can ruin a movie

I’ve begun to incorporate the phrase “secret asshole” into my lexicon, thanks to RLM.

6 Likes

I haven’t seen the director’s cut, but that is one of my favourite movies.

ETA: Thank you for the link. I must have watched either the US theatrical or the Director’s cut, because there was no happy ending.

3 Likes

Hmm, now I’m not sure which version I saw.
Will try and revisit this, thanks.

ETA: See above

3 Likes

Fortunately Canada got the UK release of Brazil.

That happens sometimes. The theatrical release of Battlestar Galactica was nothing like the US version.

3 Likes

Oh good. They have an Alien Covenant commentary.

5 Likes

Cutting for length is how you make a quick buck. A long film can attract critical attention, but if the film’s a dog, it can be shown many more times a day before the film rental period expires. I get the impression that the idea of a cut having “artistic” integrity really took off during the 1980s, possibly bolstered by this ruling. Once upon a time in America, Brazil,

I’ve never seen Wolfsen. It sounds absurd.

Were some of these movies financed by inexperienced investors looking for a tax shelter?

3 Likes

Get the Criterion blu-ray set and watch all three, with commentary.

2 Likes

In an ideal world I suppose the director and the editor would work collaboratively and the suits would just keep out of it. Especially when they’ve spent the money to hire top pro talent. Let them do what you’re paying them for.

1 Like

Most of Martin Scorsese’s films were edited by Thelma Schoonmaker. There’s very definitely an art to editing, but it’s a collaborative process.

If the director has a nonlinear timeline in mind, and the film is over budget, it’s easy for the producers to come in with a salvage edit that offends everyone.

3 Likes

Editing is one of the most important disciplines in modern filmmaking.

Agreed. It always puzzled me that the makers of 1917 chose to ignore that.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Yah, the latest Apocalypse Now Redux Whatever cut is goddam unwatchable. I tried and fell asleep four or five times.

Same for, and this may be an unpopular opinion, Blade Runner. That movie does not need another 30 minutes of ponderous city flyovers FFS. The pacing of both those films is ruined by the directors’ cuts.

6 Likes

Oh come on it was the best walking simulator ever put to film :grin:
An annoying film, but great representative of what a first person shooter game looks like with actors and someone else playing.

I liked the cheesy Philip Marlowesque voiceovers. That and the Bradbury Building were cool LA film noir references

2 Likes

free to read

The aviator feels like a sprightly three hour film, but some 61 minute films from Ed Wood can really plod along.

2 Likes

Margaret in the director’s version is one of the most thoughtful films I’ve ever seen. It makes most other films look simple-minded by comparison.

2 Likes

I love every movie in the Alien franchise, and they’re among my most-rewatched movies.

I often wonder whether they should’ve made more than two, however. I might’ve been interesting if they made a third, or more.

And no, you cannot crack my worldview. Why do you ask?

6 Likes

I’ve wondered the same thing about the Terminator franchise. The 2 movies and short lived TV series could have used more.

Also I am so glad they didn’t do any sequels to Highlander. It was a self-contained story as it was. Though the TV series was a happy addition.

4 Likes

Just like Matrix, heh. I am glad they only made a short cartoon about a Girl who was looking for her cat and found a glitch in the Matrix and didn’t even try to make three movie sequels…

2 Likes

Raiders and Temple of Doom were awesome, too bad they didn’t keep going.

Same with Star Wars and Empire. Kinda left things unresolved, oh well.

1 Like