How EFF's Eva Galperin plans to destroy the stalkerware industry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/03/the-good-fight.html

9 Likes

I disagree there, as a person’s mind is vastly more complex than any device we may use, but it is a grotesque invasion of privacy.

20 Likes

It’s different when a fellow corporation wrote it. /s

9 Likes

Rock on Eva. :fist:

10 Likes

Is that one of those GAN pictures?

4 Likes

Looks like thumbnail was used for the full size. It does feel off. Also feels wrong to do image searches for someone working against stalking app to see if she really looks like that.

3 Likes

Good work, Eva. I just joined the EFF. Cuz of you.

7 Likes

Good for you! The EFF does some really great work. And if you can afford to donate enough, the EFF hoodie is well-made and really, really cool.

7 Likes

I have nothing but respect for the people at EFF.

If I won the Powerball I would immediately donate 10 million and make them a powerhouse because what they do is essential to decency in the modern electronic world

7 Likes

Or if its an illegal Law enforcement tool.

1 Like

If that’s a bad picture of her, I can understand. But if it’s a good picture, then she’s an AI.

I’m a lawyer. It is my ultimate professional pipe dream to work for the EFF.

3 Likes

So there really are lawful good lawyers then, I thought most were chaotic neutral or lawful evil till now. Hope you get in with them some day man, we need more lawful good lawyers

3 Likes

A good friend of mine abandoned her smart phone entirely, because it was obvious to her that it had been compromised. Her abusive ex is definitely the type of sociopath that would pay money for stalkerware. I don’t know how susceptible iPhones are to this, but I trust her that hers spooked her about halfway through their 2 year divorce proceedings.

The obvious answer to that is a full factory reset, then reinstall only the most critical apps, avoiding any social media, and putting a different passcode on, preferably at least six-digit.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.