How filmmakers make crew and camera invisible in mirrors

Originally published at: How filmmakers make crew and camera invisible in mirrors | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Clever, but somewhat disappointing. I had hoped for vampires being involved.

11 Likes

It hasn’t worked since Katrina but I am never forgetting it.

2 Likes

There are some staggeringly clever mirror effects in ‘Last Night in Soho’ one of which leads into a scene that just makes my jaw drop - especially when I learned a lot of it was done ‘in camera’ - and then it ends with another brilliant mirror shot:

(contains naughty words)

5 Likes

Does nobody just drape the camera with Mylar and hope for the best anymore?

a flock of seagulls vintage GIF

6 Likes

Right?!? My childhood phone number was drilled into my memory so deeply that it is quite likely the last thing I’ll ever forget. ^____^

Go Ahead Yes GIF

3 Likes

That’s basically it with the main mirror shot he spends time on in the second video. They cover it all in black fabric and roto it out in post. I was disappointed because that’s what I guessed off the bat, but he hyped it up so much I assumed they did something really clever and new.

1 Like

You should watch the ad for Kenzo World fragrance, starring Andie McDowell’s dancer/actress daughter Margaret Qualley. It’s a weird little piece of art, and starting at around 1:49 the camera follows her up some stairs and back down again, pivoting and gliding, reflected in multiple mirrors, invisible the whole time. Even when you know how it’s done it’s like a magic trick, because there are just so many reflections of reflections.

3 Likes

Actually drawn to this post because of a scene in The French Connection. The scene has the viewer looking into the front window of the motor room of a moving ‘subway’ train with the motorman and French sniper on the other side of the glass. Yet the camera has no reflection in the glass. Thought of black covering for everything but the lens. The lens?

Your final carpenter scene is similar to a famous sequence in Citizen Kane where the camera approaches a neon sign and then moves through it, onto to a skylight which has another pass through with a flash of lightening. The neon sign is manually pulled apart for the camera. (~14:40)

2 Likes

Nice. Feels like it’s riffing on the Christopher Walken video for Fatboy Slim’s Weapon of Choice. Though Margaret goes one better by doing her own somersault, where Christopher used a double for his.

1 Like

Same director! Spike Jonze did them both.

1 Like

Didn’t know that. Explains why I immediately thought of the Christopher Walken video when I saw the Kenzo ad the first time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.