Japanese stalker found victim's home by looking at reflection in her pupil in a high resolution photo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/10/japanese-stalker-found-victim.html

3 Likes

@frauenfelder
Probably “high” resolution not his resolution. Though I guess it was at whatever his resolution was set to when he did it.

6 Likes

Fixed. Thanks!

6 Likes

6 Likes

What the hell? Is this CSI:Tokyo? :astonished:

8 Likes

Enhance!!

26 Likes

That scares me right down to my wiggle spots.

6 Likes

And thanks to you, orenwolf!

7 Likes

Another classic!

3 Likes

Even better, Enhance Computer the Game.

4 Likes

you mean that actually WORKS? i thought it only worked in Blade Runner.

11 Likes

Q: what year did Blade Runner take place?

A: 2019

[ETA: One thing that’s always bothered me about this scene is that at about the 2 min. mark the computer seems to be creating some kind of 3-d image out of the 2-d photo-- her arm appears and then disappears, and then her entire figure appears out of nowhere.]

21 Likes

I’m pretty sure Blade Runner is known for not being consistent

7 Likes

The photo is a file.

4 Likes

I haven’t done anything quite that blade runner, but I’ve taken a photo with a decent DSLR down my street and was able to read house numbers and license plates nearly a quarter mile away from the camera.

With a lot of megapixels you catch a lot of image.

9 Likes
  1. What kind of resolution are we talking here? Usually “enhance, enhance” give you blurry blobs of nothing. Pretty crazy you could glean a bus stop from an eye reflection.

2. Can someone who read Japanese tell me what is going on with her pop group. Like are they supposed to be librarians? I am totally down with the book gimmick. https://www.tenshitsukinukeniyomi.com/

3. Wasn’t there an anime film about a singer and a stalker? What was that called…

3 Likes

This reminded me of a time I yelled at a reporter at MTV on twitter because the video staff did not blur out the license plate number on a singer’s car (it was quickly pulled and replaced with a version with a blurred out plate)

@Mister44 I think the film you’re thinking of was Perfect Blue.

9 Likes

This is the efforts of a “motivated amateur.”

What is scary is what could be done by a determined Fortune 100 company (I am looking at you Facebook, Google, or Getty), or a determined state actor, especially if they are working in concert with each other with no paper trail.

6 Likes
4 Likes

I always assumed that was intentionally “magical” and that whatever device he was using was interpolating hidden objects based on other information embedded in the image.

They’ve kind of figured out how to do something like that, using scattered light to render a crude image of what’s in a room that can’t be seen directly but it does require a special light source that allows reflections to be interpreted properly.

Like so: https://news.stanford.edu/2018/03/05/technique-can-see-objects-hidden-around-corners/

8 Likes