Bizarre family selfie in which half of man's body has vanished

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/17/716011.html

4 Likes

I’d say they staged this; using panorama mode for the shot while standing still. This allowed the man to move into the picture while the camera decided to keep the original background.

He might also just be holding a large mirror, tilted to the side.

I notice that in the woman’s glasses, the background also shows terrain instead of the child’s jacket.

While the reflection in the man’s glasses isn’t clear enough to really see what he’s looking at, I get an impression that it is not the woman’s phone taking a ‘selfie’ from arm’s length, but that there is actually a person there dressed in blue.

5 Likes

This is just shopped together, right? I don’t think the older kid is from the original shot either, if any of them are. I mean look at the glasses. Should I be seeing the jacket of the person behind the bespectacled person through those lenses? I know the light is being bent, but that does not look right.

12 Likes

“You were shot out of a cannon. The cannon is behind you and you are flying straight into the camera with that determined look on your face.”

The picture taken a fraction of a second before he fatally collided with his family. :frowning:

There’s some sort of digital fuckery going on - it’s certainly not just a weird perspective (unless he’s standing on stilts and leaning far forward, somehow supporting himself with one unseen arm, or suspended by unseen wires.

6 Likes

Maybe BeardoGreg is really just TorsoGreg?

3 Likes

Greenman%20ggif

12 Likes

Yeah, at least two photos 'shopped together, unless the little girl is improbably tall or standing on something.

E for effort.

5 Likes

See what happens when you start screwing around with the timeline?

15 Likes

19 Likes

How did you get this video of me relaxing after work?

10 Likes

He’s squatting down and leaned forward but he’s got some major saddle legs going on and the camera is looking betwixt and between.

14 Likes

Just hung out at Paddy’s for a few minutes - there you were!

5 Likes

I’m like that.

6 Likes

That is how every one of my ex-wives describes me.

2 Likes

I imagined the kids in the photo getting defensive of their father.

Kids: He might be half a man but he’s twice the dad you will ever be, Internet!

9 Likes

I don’t think its a shoop, I think hes using the family up front to hide whatever he’s laying on. Might be a hand rail of some sort? There are boards on the ground beneath them so they could be in front of some building with their backs to the wilderness.

2 Likes

she isnt that tall; mom knees on the ground to be on height with her youngest and dad is extremly leaning forward to be on height with his oldest. dont think its shopped (cant find any cutouts around and hair at edges looks fine) but suspect some “AI”-processing-glitchery from the cam itself.

eta/

ha! think you are totaly right; the reddit is called “r/confusing_perspective” for a reason. thank you.

7 Likes

Hmm…you can see the little girl’s purple jacket through the mom’s strands of hair, and the dad’s plaid shirt through the little girl’s hair, so perhaps they are all in one photo. But even if it deleted half the dad, a digital filter isn’t going to add in that detailed shrubbery in its place.

I still think the little girl looks improbably tall relative to the little boy. The elevated angle from which the mom took the selfie could partially explain that, but I still think there’s some deliberate manipulation of the photo going on here. I don’t see how the shrubs under dad get added by accident.

2 Likes

Probably something like this:

“Believe it or not, the “twins” is just one child, yes or no?”

1 Like

Protestors with mismatched feets:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6616348,-79.3912851,3a,18.6y,115.76h,77.37t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOwcaDBBTn5C5VGyBnjUPnZpU-Ecc5UkAqEmyte!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOwcaDBBTn5C5VGyBnjUPnZpU-Ecc5UkAqEmyte%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya145.386-ro0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352?hl=en

1 Like