Bizarre family selfie in which half of man's body has vanished

5 Likes

I don’t think this requires any digital fuckery whatsoever. Here’s my explanation:

Mom is kneeling on the ground with toddler standing next to her. Girl is standing behind mom. You can see (as others have mentioned) what appears to be the girl’s jacket in the mom’s glasses frame. (Though this could be mom’s hair too. That said, nearsighted lenses do some wacky shit. EDIT: zooming to full resolution shows this is actually BOTH the jacket AND the hair.)

Dad is popping a severe and high-quality hinge. You can see his shirt tail dangling behind the daughter’s jacket. Behind the toddler’s head and just below dad’s shirt you can just barely see a clip of dad’s jeans.

Imagining that as a basis for the top of dad’s inner thigh, one could easily imagine that dad’s right leg is fully hidden behind the toddler, and his left leg behind mom and daughter. The rise of his pants is hidden just behind the part of his shirt that’s bloused out from him leaning over.

Dad probably has really good deadlift form.

4 Likes

Don’t forget the cat.

HOVER-CAT

9 Likes

Looking at it after the coffee has kicked in. Mom is sitting down with the baby on her knee or some such.
Dad is bent over with his legs spread hands on knees and hidden behind daughter/mom and baby.

Edit better clarity for dads posing.

9 Likes

You’re probably right. That’s some epic thigh gap on dad there though.

3 Likes

One thing seems clear to me;
Dad is standing behind a mirror or sheet of glass. An opened car door, perhaps.
You can see a clear straight line where he ends and the bush begins. Depending on which angle the edge is, which is unclear, it also appears that his shirt collar is reflected in it.

Do you have a similar analysis of the moon landing photos?

9 Likes

Would you like to discuss my theory, or would you like to continue to violate this forum’s rules by mocking other members?

The poster himself explains it - he’s in a bit of a crouch and leaning forward with his hands on his knees, so as to be at the height of his kids. One kid blocks each of his legs.

Just to the right of his son’s temple you can see a little bit of his leg.

I’d guess his shirt is fairly loose so it’s hanging down lower than his torso actually goes, which enhances the illusion.

10 Likes

We could like go by the dad’s explanation on reddit which involves no mirrors or photoshop. Which actually is what I guess up above. A bit of camera perspective trickery is all that is going on here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/confusing_perspective/comments/bpj7kk/family_selfie_i_have_no_legs/

7 Likes

Well it’s more what you’d call “guidelines” than actual rules…

6 Likes

Don’t evade the question.
Do you have something on the moon landing photos or not?

17 Likes

cannibal families are the worst.

3 Likes

Green screen?

If you invent crazy theories to explain something that 1) the person in the photograph already explained, and 2) doesn’t require bells and whistles to explain it in the first place, then you shouldn’t be surprised to get some ribbing. I mean, I take large mirrors with me when I go camping with my family, but still.

9 Likes

Doesn’t everyone travel with their camping mirrors? Savages.

5 Likes

15 Likes

I have been wondering where Casper the Freindly Ghost has been hiding for the past 40 years…

Not sure I want to know how he got those kids…

1 Like

The Crouching Dad-gone explanation seems plausible except for the lack of the girls shirt in the camera left of the womans glasses. The way they make her face bend inward shows that they should show more toward the torso of the girl. But I suppose the girls shirt could be hanging with a gap next to the torso exposing the background just right.

I think that her glasses may be somewhat thick and distorting things.