Bizarre family selfie in which half of man's body has vanished

I’m struck that no one thus far has pointed out the obvious. Judging by his visible gear, Occam’s pretty much decrees Dad here has the world’s best camo pants.

7 Likes

Clearly her glasses are distorting. The question is which way are they distorting, camera left or right. If left then it is obvious why they have background. I presented evidence that they distort right, but I suppose there could be different directions for different focal distances. I am not interested enough to delve into optics that deeply right now.

You can see the distortion clearly. Her face and hair are shifted to the right. The husband’s plaid shirt can be seen in her glasses.

It’s just that his legs are behind the kids.

Looks like a happy family.

1 Like

The man has no legs.

It would be bizarre if they grew back.

Only his lower body is vampiric. So he avoids the telltale fang thing.

3 Likes

100% agree, the glasses are the the clue that the second row of people have been added.

It’s easy enough to forget to switch the mode back to normal after your panorama shot.

2 Likes

This seems easy. The guy is standing on two somethings, presumably rocks. The guy has one leg on one something, one on the other something, bending over. The somethings are obscured by the foreground people. The girl in the background is also standing on one of the somethings.

The glasses are a red hearing. Forget about the glasses. Glasses do weird things.

1 Like

To me it looks like: They’re in rugged territory. The family is hanging around a small outcropping. The woman and small child are in front of the outcropping. The older child is on top of the outcropping. The man is behind the outcropping and leaning forward over it toward the camera. No photoshop.

It’s interesting… That’s how it looked to me when I first saw it. Even reading all the different theories here, I can’t seem to shake my initial impression. None of the other theories fit what I see.

But I have no idea if my impression is right or wrong—i.e., can I not shake it because it’s the correct impression? Or can I not shake it because it’s my first impression, and my brain decided that it must be true no matter what suggestions are made to the contrary? I don’t know!

3 Likes

Microsoft had a tool called GroupShot to automatically composite pics like this together from multiple takes. One could probably get a result like this by accident. However I think only six people ever used it, and it was almost 10 years ago so it’s unlikely.

The wide stance/legs obscured theory works for me. His shirt pattern compresses like he’s bent over at a near right angle.

2 Likes

So many self-proclaimed experts in this thread and yet not one of you used the word ‘pixel’.

4 Likes

We prefer the non-pejorative and traditional term – pisky.

1 Like

Predator

4 Likes

Where is the shadow though?

In the hearts of men?

I mean he must spend a lot of time there to know about all the evil lurking there…

3 Likes

GroupShot FTW. Why remember a camera or posing if you can just all be captured during the Beatification of the Cupholders, one of those Nacirema Body Rituals.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.