Japanese stalker found victim's home by looking at reflection in her pupil in a high resolution photo

Oh great, now EVERYONE knows where she lives.

3 Likes

I think it does not require too much.
Aella reports that:

Be careful about where you take photos or the backgrounds in your cam. I have a camgirl friend who bought a new house and uploaded a selfie of her inside it, no view out the windows. Someone figured out the general city she was in and went through every “recently sold” house listing until they found one with internal pictures that matched the layout in her selfie. I had another friend, for fun, see if he could find exactly on google maps a girl was camming from based on the view outside her window – and he did it.

source:

4 Likes

According to the website, the group has a focus on poetry.
Apparently they released a music CD, but the profile on the site says that they are also focused on developing their own poetry, and the media section show they reading some.

4 Likes

Perfect Blue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_Blue

6 Likes

“The photo is coming from inside the file!” :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Apparently, it might be even easier than that.
Camera and cellphones usually add the GPS of where the picture was taken on the file metadata.
I’m not sure if the biggest social-medias stripe them after you upload.
I remember that facebook showing the location of the pictures that someone uploaded, and I guess it used the EXIF data to find it without the user input.
Without proper care, it can be a big problem.

4 Likes

Oy gevalt. I first noticed this when someone shot a portrait of me on a Nikon, and their reflection and the patio we were sitting in could be discerned by zooming into either of my eyes.

8 Likes

I had always interpreted that scene as future pictures contained some 3D data.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about them, but “Tenshitsukinuke” is the local name given to a small path that went through a shrine called Tenshi. It’s the kind of word that people not familiar with it would misread (which is probably why they spell it out using the alphabet too), and Tenshi also means angel, so they are definitely going for a kind of high-brow idol look. The second part of the name “ni yomi” means “read by”, so there’s the book thing. The choice of katakana instead of hiragana for ni and mi seems odd, not sure what the significance of that is, perhaps it’s just supposed to look cute.

1 Like

I think you’re referring to Satoshi Kon’s “Perfect Blue”. Fantastic film for those with Hitchcockian tastes.

2 Likes

I think I saw a scene like this story in an episode of Twin Peaks.

3 Likes

EnhanceKey

3 Likes

I’d always interpreted that as a sort of reverse ray-tracing estimation to see around corners. Done via hand-animated mattes, but a neat concept.

1 Like

https://www.oldpolicecellsmuseum.org.uk/content/learning/image-murderer-captured-victims-eye

3 Likes

It was very likely in the interest of police to perpetuate the myth, as leverage for whatever suspects they happened to round up. “See here, we have optography experts analyzing the evidence and as soon as they finish…”

4 Likes

GOOGLE MAPS 101

One of the easiest location hacks to use is Google street view. All you need is the street name in a crime report (as usually given on the media company’s web page report of say a fire or an accident or even an arrest for murder ).
Just highlight the street name, then right click it and select "search Google for …
Usually Google will give you the closest geographic match to -your- current location and usually include a mini thumbnail of the street. (Don’t ask me how it knows)
Double click on that thumbnail to open a larger page wide “map” view and then select the “satellite view” down in the bottom left corner. Zoom in on the street in question and you will eventually drop into “street view”. Then just drive the view to the location that matches the location the Cops were surrounding in the media report. Easy peasey!
Also, right clicking on either the map view or the satellite view will give you a short selection list that includes “what’s here” and “distance measure” .
AAAAND for my final tip: check out https://9-eyes.com/ for those amazingly funny street view pics as captured by the Google car as it slowly tracks around town.
Oh, and BTW, Google doesn’t always use cars. Check this out on a certain university campus.
Looks like Shaq is moonlighting this one. times are tough, I tell ya.

2 Likes

I prefer enhancing the traditional way:

3 Likes

I know facebook does, i think it was facebook and i think insta does, and prity sure, flickr did, cos this question has come up once before, o a tumblr does as well…

1 Like

The first two kanji characters are for angel. They’re supposed to be angels who love reading. The last character is Read. However the bit in the middle means to pierce through tsukinukeru. Doesn’t really make sense. A high school Japanese teacher would probably say the same.

1 Like

Uncrop!

2 Likes