Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirrored Room is now available to view online

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/27/yayoi-kusamas-infinity-mirro.html

I don’t, uh, I don’t Insta. Is this supposed to be 360°?

1 Like

I saw this in person when it was the Queensland Art Gallery. It is incredible.

2 Likes

Well that was one of the most underwhelming moments of the past week - was something meant to have happened in that tiny little image full of coloured lights?

Oh look, it’s my neighbor’s house at Christmas time.

2 Likes

Yeah, I googled around, and there are much better videos of these rooms out there. I sense that in-person is really the only way to see one of these, though.

1 Like

I’d agree with that. It was cool in person.

This video is one of the best examples of why you should film your goddamn videos in landscape I’ve ever seen, though.

5 Likes

I saw an actual professional reporter using portrait mode for a news story on the TV, yesterday. It wasn’t one of the “talk-show-from-home” deals where they use portrait-mode to get 3 people on the screen together (one of the very-few legitimate reasons - and even there, the final product is in landscape). Phones should default to landscape video, even if held vertically. A non-latchable override for those exceedingly-rare times when you really want portrait mode. Instagram and Tik-Tok apps should default to landscape mode. Honestly, fuck all this portrait video. It hurts my brain.

4 Likes

To infinity and beyond!

1 Like

Calm down, Randall’s got this

7 Likes

I don’t … uh … insta either. Do you know where I can get some? I love me some Yayoi. (but fuck facebook in it’s stupid facebook)

Generally most of her rooms are 360° … (is it good social distancing guidelines to copy and paste your °? i was too lazy to alt+0176…)

There’s more than one of these - Google Phoenix Art Museum Infinity Riim

This is exactly my kind of thing.

If you like this, you might like the work of James Turrell. Most of his stuff is silent, but uses light in interesting ways.

1 Like

Yeah this instagram post does it ABSOLUTELY NO JUSTICE. I saw it in person at Sydney’s MCA and it was quite amazing.

Im glad I snuck taking some photos while in there (ofc strictly against the rules -rules are meant to be broken) but when i looked at those photos afterwards I was struck by the lack of visual impact. This is truly a work that needs to be seen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.