How has the American diet changed since 1970?

The Caper of Capering About in a Cape.

I’m pretty sure my caper consumption has also gone up in the last 40 years since I doubt I would have eaten them as a child. Like 'em now though.

1 Like

My logarithmic scale makes me feel thin again. That needle doesn’t move nearly as far over as it used to.

2 Likes

Also in 1989, we realised they are not the only fruit.

If you’d just call them ‘crisps’ like normal people…

2 Likes

Yes, I would have to say portion size more than anything. When the soda companies realized that a bigger bottle costs basically 1 cent extra over the standard size and they can charge 10 cents more, thats 9 cents of pure profit. Anymore when I end up going somewhere for lunch, especially if it ends up after 1pm I am never very hungry for dinner as the portion for lunch was way bigger than necessary.

When doing some basic looking into things during some dust ups over HFCS, which just saves the stomach from breaking down the cane/beet sugar into the same thing for the most part but I saw that what also came on to the scene at the same time is the larger sizes of soft drinks and the thing is a 12 ounce serving (sugar or hfcs) has pretty much all the sugar a grown adult needs in a day and I would watch people down 2 or 3 of the 20 ounce bottles in a day so it isn’t like changing back to plain old sugar was gonna help things.

2 Likes

As a kid I loved Coke, but in my twenties I totally went off it - way too sweet, way to syrupy. Diet Coke seemed to get better and save the day, but my dentist demonstrated how the content prevents the fluoride in toothpaste working.

So bummed, I turned to water, like some kind of dietary hobo.

Then I cut out sugar, salt, fat; but upped olive oil, wholegrain rice and that kind of stuff. Lost 30 pounds, then cut out Soy Milk (which I thought was angelic) and dropped another 10 without thinking about it.

American servings look like mini-feasts to me. I look round for the bunting and sparklers.

Never! I’ll compromise and call french fries chips but only when they’re served with fish.

2 Likes

Always have!

I just ask for a second plate and share one portion between two people (then give a bigger tip).

1 Like

I still love coke (or whatever brand of cola takes my fancy at the time) but only have a bottle once or twice a month.
I found caffeine was the addictive thing for me, I gave it up once and ended up cutting out pop pretty much entirely with that. Now I can get just plain or flavored seltzer which kills the fizzy drink cravings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.