How hobby drones and 3D printing are being effectively used against the Russian invasion of Ukraine

Originally published at: How hobby drones and 3D printing are being effectively used against the Russian invasion of Ukraine | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Slipping the bomb right through the sunroof of a moving car on nothing but drone camera view is either very impressive or very lucky.

I certainly wouldn’t be optimistic about the occupants even if it had hit the roof, but that is precise.

11 Likes

Where there is a will, there is a way. #SlavaUkraini

12 Likes

It’s almost as if painting a big old Z on the hood of the car that can be spotted easily with a cheap drone is a really stupid idea

18 Likes

War is stupid. But whatever it takes, within the Geneva conventions, to get it to stop, I’m all for.

7 Likes

That’s some serious skill or some serious luck. Either way, I feel bad for the families of these Russian soldiers who died for a pointless cause in a war they should not be fighting.

14 Likes

Watching the footage several times, I think that was a really lucky shot, the vehicle started to move as the bomb was dropped, unfortunately for the passengers they moved it directly under the bomb, so it dropped straight through the sunroof. Fantastically lucky for the drone operator, decidedly less than optimal for the passengers.
Just the fact that small commercial drones and effective munitions small enough for such drones to carry are being modified so successfully is eye-opening, and the fact that China has banned the sale of DJI Mavic drones to that area is telling in itself.
Glory to Ukraine :ukraine:

16 Likes

Life Death, uh, finds a way.

5 Likes

So, it would be preferable to be bombed/attacked by their own side? (Particularly important given how trigger happy Russians are in attacking Ukrainian civilians.)

Both Russian and Ukrainian sides are very aggressive in placing distinguishing marks on vehicles and soldiers.

Invading Ukraine is a stupid idea. Painting a big old Z on a captured car is (generally) a good idea.

2 Likes

Putin’s murderers are getting just what they asked for, and a little tiny bit more.

3 Likes
5 Likes

The Russians are angry at those Ukrainian farm tractors…

16 Likes

Who would have thought that one day these DRM devices would be useful.

16 Likes

This video continues on Reddit in /Combatfootage … The driver makes it 20 feet then crashes into a wall and the drone operator zooms in and we see the real carnage.

2 Likes

…and it isn’t pretty at all.

3 Likes

Shhhh; it just adds to the mystique of the Ukrainian forces. Slava Ukraini!

3 Likes

Which is why both targeting civilians and using civilian vehicles for military uses are comsidered bad things to do in war.

4 Likes

One of those things that I wish that I could unsee.

2 Likes

I felt like posting a Nelson Muntz “Ha ha!” gif, but on 2nd thought I don’t want to trivialize the life and death struggle of Ukrainians in the midst of the Russian military invasion.

2 Likes

I thought it looked like it hit behind the truck. But the resolution is pretty low.