Viral ode to the Bayraktar drone being used by the Ukrainian army

Originally published at: Viral ode to the Bayraktar drone being used by the Ukrainian army | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Video unavailable
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Clash Report

DMCA takedown?

Here’s another version:

One with English subtitles:

14 Likes

my late sister stell was very stealth

4 Likes

As we discuss all the tactical and strategic miscalculations the Russian military made when it launched this criminal invasion, their underestimation of Ukraine’s drone capabilityis going to be high on the list.

13 Likes

Which was fucking stupid of them as the Azerbaijanis used the same drones to great effect against Armenia’s Russian made tanks during their most recent spat.

13 Likes

Btw, are there any statistics over how many successful strikes can be attributed to Ukraine’s Bayraktars?

5 Likes

I believe it’s not been very wise of the Western world to embargo Turkey with regards to drone parts (American or Austrian engines, Canadian optics etc) but it’ll probably still be good on the long run so Turkey develops those industries as well. Turkish drones just started using Ukrainian engines in exchange for those drones before the Russian invasion, hopefully the facilities are intact and will not leave Ukraine/Turkey to whims of the West.

6 Likes

ATTENTION BB’ers:

We have found a backdoor to help send money to Ukrainians in the War Zone. Use the Airbnb site or app, find a host in Kyiv [KEEV], start a correspondence with them to check if they are legit, we steer clear of very recent hosts / no review hosts / and host’s with zero info in the bio. It only takes $10 -$20 US dollars to sustain a family or group. If you can give great, if you can not, then spread the word. The Underground is alive, Resist, help with what you can. We Stand With Ukraine!

Papasan Out!

P.S. F@CK putin!

14 Likes

Much as I’m uncomfortable with the idolization of a thing made to kill humans…

The song is pretty funny, and I can’t begrudge the sentiment given what’s happening.

9 Likes

I read about this last night. Good stuff!

I’d like to do a post on BB about other ways in which people around the world are hacking the invasion effort. Some others that I’ve heard of:

• Going on to Russian restaurant pages and writing a “review” that points out Puti-tang’s unjustified invasion.
  • Ukrainians and others that are returning to the country to fight are bringing small camera-equipped drones back with them to use in the war effort.
  • When the Ukrainian army captures Russian soldiers, they let them call home and encourage (hopefully that doesn’t need to be in quotation marks) them to tell their families what’s really going on and to tell them to spread the word back home.
  • As widely reported, Ukrainians have been removing or switching around street signs to confuse/delay the Russian army.

Heard of any others? Please share.

12 Likes

Update: AirBnB has suspended all admin/transaction fees for the Guest/Host. So all the money goes directly to the recipient.

Papasan

15 Likes

The crafting community at large has also started encouraging digital download purchases of Ukrainian pattern makers through Ravelry and Etsy. It’s pretty easy to filter results for location and product type.

8 Likes

The original video is back up (I guess the copyright takedown was bogus, gasp!), but now it’s age-restricted.

I think the Russians hate that video.

6 Likes

Well to a real degree, it IS a snuff film. so…age restriction seems reasonable.

3 Likes

A war song one could actually dance to.

4 Likes

So these drones are to the Ukraine what Stinger missiles were to mujahadeen in Afghanistan.

2 Likes

Technically that is a war crime. Using POWs for public promotion. One which pales in comparison to bombarding civilian populations and nuclear power plants. War crimes are all about the reciprocity. (Probably the only subject where whataboutism has a place in a discussion)

3 Likes

It’s in a grey zone. The calls home to mom don’t count as making the POW an object of (per the Geneva Convention) public curiosity. It’s up to mom back home whether she wants to accept sonny boy’s request to spread the word.

The TV press conferences where the POWs were interviewed, on the other hand, definitely were in contravention of the treaty on that basis.This is especially the case since some of their televised denunciations of Putin’s war were obviously scripted by their captors, in sharp contrast to their more genuine descriptions of how they were rushed into the invasion unprepared and ill-equipped.

7 Likes

An original drone design from Turkey? TURKEY? Holy cow!

1 Like

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

Why not Turkey?

8 Likes