How I grilled the best steaks I've ever eaten

Yeah if your doing it right sous vide doesn’t cause the problems your mentioning. What you describe seems typical of sous vide thats been well over done. When done properly it tastes largely the same and has a similar texture to any other cooking method. Just you know more, more ■■■■■, more even, more accurately to the temp you want. And the stuff your locking in is moisture, the gentler cooking environment leads to less liquid being squeezed out by over coagulated proteins. It’s also easier, significantly. It takes about the same amount of time over all to do either (longer or shorter either way if you use different approaches). But the sous vide has far less active cook time. It’s on auto pilot till its time to sear and that’s done for much less time over higher heat.

@emo_pinata

Rare steak is great for lean and tender (or thin sliced) steaks. But beef fat, and certain connective tissue don’t render properly till around mid rare temps. Which is why that’s considered the textbook “correct” temp. Rare fillet or tri tip is good. But rare rib eye can be tough, with waxy mouth coating fat, and significantly less flavor than the same piece taken to mid rare. Rib eye can even hold up to medium where most cuts get dry and fibrous starting around there. It’s even more extreme with some other meats. Lamb fat is shockingly waxy, and takes high temps to render. A fatty cut at even mid rare can be like eating a candle.

As for everyone else:

I’ve been finding prime grade rib eye cap (spinalis dorsi) at the local Costco for a good price lately. No clue why they have it precut. But it’s absolutely the beefiest beef that ever done beefed. Big thick rich as hell, tender but still with a bit of chew. It’s like tender short rib or oxtail. I suggest asking your butcher to cut some. Or keeping an eye out for deals at places with good meat depts.

3 Likes

The difference was astounding. I literally have never eaten a better piece of meat, neither in a 5-star Vegas steakhouse nor in a down-home favorite Texas grill. I can still taste it.

As much as I enjoy continuing to live in the Midwest, one thing that bugs me is that I can literally see the beef that’s going to be your food, just by looking around. It’s not going to be my food; it’s going to be yours. Unless, of course, I work out a deal with the farmer. Why? Because the beef I get at the grocery store is probably going to be absolute shit that’s glued together with transglutaminase.

Contrast that with eastern Tennessee, where my family (including my parents) went for a short trip. We went into FoodLand, and my mom almost literally got in a fight with an Argentinian over a package of ground beef. The mind boggles.

Of course, I should still feel fortunate. Compared to other countries, our beef is cheap and plentiful.

However, back to the midwest meat mystery. I saw a thread on Reddit talking about eating cheaply. One person, a Puerto Rican from New York (they took great pains to keep pointing this out) pointed out rightly that if they can eat cheap in NYC, anyone can eat cheap. Fair enough. But one of the tips was to get pork shoulder.

My mind boggled. If I go to the local of the local Kroger during a heat wave, I can literally smell pig shit outside. But you’d swear that pork shoulder was gold-plated. To be fair, it’s in great demand here; we can take it, put it in a smoker or even on a Weber grill, and make pulled pork that rivals the best pulled pork you’ve ever had from a restaurant. My wife swears my pulled pork is almost as good as Mike Mills’s, and he almost always places well at competition.

I’d be curious to know what the advantage is of that awesome looking grill vs. the base model.

From the pictures, it looks mostly like the drip pan is enclosed, so I’d be less likely to get burnt if I’m grilling in shorts, I guess?

I guess I’m a horrible person, because I’ve done both; I’ll take a cheap cut of meat, cook it long enough to be tender using the crock-pot-and-pid method, then throw it on the grill to sear the outside. It’s amazing.

3 Likes

Interesting, I guess I just took it for granted…
I like the untrimmed ones the best for myself.

Stop eating the bag.

5 Likes

Ah. Then you’d want the NAMP 185C instead. It’s the untrimmed version.

1 Like

Oh, I live in Southern CA like Cory. I can get Tritip all day long pretty much however I want… :slight_smile:
But, to be honest, if I’m going to do sliced steaks on a platter, I prefer choice flank. But both are nice.

1 Like

Tri tip is alright, but for me nothing beats a dry aged new York. Well, one thing does. I once went to Benjamins steak house in Manhattan and they kept bringing op it prime grade ribeye. Best cow I’ve ever had.

3 Likes

At the talk I attended, he mentioned he was currently working on his second book, which contained a lot less red meat recipes. After that, he said he wants to start on an all vegetarian book.

1 Like

Also from California, and yes, this state loves its tri tip. Especially the center of the state. I’m a heretic because I prefer rib eye. Mmm.

2 Likes

No, you have taste.

3 Likes

<grinds teeth/>

2 Likes

Hey! Should I be offended?

1 Like

Nothing wrong with rib eye.

1 Like

Okay. I still gave you like, meanie. :wink:

2 Likes

No, a proper rib eye is amazing. It’s hard to find one that’s marbled right compared to NY, but when you do…

Last Xmas I went to a “whole animal” butcher that got grass fed southern CA cows and they cut two full bones of prime rib for me then split that into two steaks. They were well over a pound each and I grilled them with nothing but salt and pepper over a blistering mesquite fire. I have never anywhere had a better steak.

4 Likes

Yeppers!
I had no idea what tri-tip was when I moved to CA – never really did until I saw the info today.

A good ribeye is my couple times a year meat indulgence deviation from a mostly veggie diet.

2 Likes

Vegetarians, look away.

Benjamins

Peter Luger

(Yeah, that’s bacon)

4 Likes

Seriously, just buy a wood pellet smoker. Like one of these:

You can put Bic Pens, used needles, and 9-volt batteries in that thing, and they’ll come out tasting like the untamed wilditude of nature orgasming all over itself.

3 Likes

I had a traeger . I’m just more of a fan of webers or refrigerator style smokers. I like burning logs of wood, not pellets.

2 Likes

I moved the other direction, so I’m honor bound to defend tri-tip.

1 Like