How to grill the perfect steak, according to steak scientists

Originally published at: How to grill the perfect steak, according to steak scientists | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Careful. Overcook it and the NYT might sue you.

4 Likes

Definitely the most I’ve ever drooled while reading a BB article, and I don’t even eat steak!

3 Likes

According to me, the #1 best step to get better steaks is with an instant read thermometer. Pull at 132’ F. Let sit several minutes, enjoy.

If you want to get fancy, or your working with thinner cuts that may cook too fast: The Reverse Sear Is the Best Way to Cook a Steak, Period | The Food Lab works wonders.

Or if you have some time, smoke them then finish on the grill to crisp em.

17 Likes

Reverse-sear is solid - though I usually do that for roasts.

That same site sold me on sous vide. Two hours at 125F or so then dry, reseason, and into an (outdoors) very hot iron skillet with butter. Foolproof if you have the right toys, still doable with a zipper bag in a cooler if you don’t

7 Likes

I love grilling steak, but I love pan-frying steak even more. I have had the best results in a cast-iron pan on my cooktop, basting with herbs and butter. The most important thing I do to ensure the best results is to let the steak come to room temperature, particularly thicker cuts. Also, ribeye is king, if you don’t mind working a bit as you’re eating. It’s not a perfect puck of meat the way a filet is. But it is the beefiest beef that ever beefed, IMO, and great value for money.

9 Likes

My father-in-law always requested his steaks cooked thusly:
“Walk it through a warm kitchen.”

11 Likes

I want a business card that reads “Steak Scientist”.

5 Likes

“Steak scientists.”

I definitely took the wrong courses in college.

4 Likes

That sounds terrific, and that all that work will definitely be rewarded.

Guess what I’m cooking tonight?

4 Likes

Um, yeah, sous vide,
the answer is sous vide.

The right answer to everything is chicken, right?

Or is it more metro shelves?

4 Likes

Came for this comment, leaving satisfied. Best steaks? Cast iron on the grill. You get your hardwood smoke (use chips in a foil packet if you rock propane) and maximum maillard.

/also agreed on the ribeye recco. I’ve also been having fun with short ribs on the grill (flanken cut, not english style)

1 Like

A super high heat skirt steak grilled for a couple of minutes per side and then cut in strips against the grain and served with a chimichurri or compound butter comes in a close second for me.

2 Likes

Then there’s always “rip the horns off and stick it on a plate”

What is this “deodorant” of which you speak?

2 Likes

Just did this tonight with barbecued vegetables. It was so good that the children ate the steak rather than the merguez sausages I had for them.

To be clear I thought barbecued merguez sausages were their favourite food.

I used a sirloin maybe 4cm thick. My beloved wouldn’t eat something like a ribeye due to the fat.

1 Like

Right there, that’s the problem…

2 Likes