Watch Adam Savage test the best way to sear a steak

[Read the post]

I really don’t care for most steaks to be grilled. I prefer to sear them on cast iron and finish them in the roaster (although if I had an immersion cooker I’d try that for sure).

Am I some weirdo freak?*

/for steak related reasons.

1 Like

Cast iron makes a great crust on a steak, IMO.
I do it either that way or over a really hot fire on my Weber kettle.

1 Like

I agree. Always preferred a steak seared in a pan. But it works much better to roast/cook first and sear after. You get a more even temperature, and the dryer surface of the par cooked steak sears better.

1 Like

I’m mildly disappointed they didn’t try finishing the steaks on an artificial lava flow.

4 Likes

And there’s my laugh to start off the day

“Today, I’m going to place steaks on stakes at five foot intervals, starting at 30 feet away from this block of C4. We’ll see how far away you should place your steaks from the center of the explosion to get a nice sear without completely incinerating them.”

I know the MythBusters already cooked with C4, but that was by setting the C4 on fire not using it as an explosive.

1 Like

I agree for the most part, but if I marinade a steak I like it on the grill more because I don’t have it seasoned which is where the real magic of cast iron fried steak comes in.

1 Like

I was a working chef for several years. I prepared steaks from the grill, broiled, and sauteed. I roasted beef - prime rib, tenderloin and entrecôte. I chose to cook my steaks with cast iron at home. Just did so last night.
Please be very, very careful with sous vide. If you wanted to grow botulism on beef holding it at 120f in an airtight container for an hour would be a great start. Generally we used sous vide for fish and chicken in the restaurants I worked - Chicken at 160f. I think the point of the sous vide in this video was to have identical starting conditions. Using an oven at low temperature (200f) is a safe and slow way to finish your beef if you’re reluctant to finish it in the cast iron.

With sous vide the general cut off is ~3 to 4 hours for temperatures under 131f. Below that you can’t practically pasteurize the meat, its not high enough to kill most of the dangerous bacteria. And beyond a couple of hours you cross into the time frame where spoilage is more likely. But above 131f you can kill all that bacteria, the higher the temp (and thinner the cut of meat) the less time is needed to pasteurize the food. Even health departments and the USDA have acknowledged this, and there are no end of official charts and guidelines you can easily track down that list safe times for given temperatures for each meat.

Which isn’t to say you can’t make a mistake. I once forgot to reset my temp before doing a chuck roast for 36 hours. At 125f by the morning the house smelled like a corpse, and the bag had inflated with hot stinky death. But most food items done at 120f for an hour or two are perfectly safe. Though I’ve read the official recommendation is for pregnant women, very young children, and the immunosuppressed to avoid temps that low. But the same is true of shit like honey.

1 Like

My preferred method which people tell me is wonderful - kosher salt, pepper mix (red and black 3 to 1), and garlic rubbed on steak, scorching hot cast iron, pat of butter immediately followed by a cool not cold or room temp steak until the steak slides on the pan when the pan is shaken then another pat of butter and flip then quickly into a hot oven until it reaches desired temp. The crust is a bit crunchy, a bit sweet, and delicious.
When cooking for just myself, I’ll use a hot salt block instead of cast iron and no seasoning.
Happy cooking BB

1 Like

I only cook steaks with artisanally produced hydrogen ignited by sparks from a virgin flint. The lasting effects of previously used flints (or, god forbid, matches!) on the flame will give the meat a metallic taste that is objectionable to truly discriminating palates. Always use a freshly chipped English flint nodule.

Also, the nozzle of the hydrogen burner has to be polished bronze. Brass, steel or tarnish will cause the resonant frequency of the steak to distort, causing bad flavor and dryness. Bronze helps sear in the flavor!

8 Likes

I can’t tell if you’re making a joke.

I was trying to spoof audio cable vendors, actually.

But given the way people sometimes talk about matters of nutrition and personal taste on the Internet, I see now that I may have been far too subtle.

7 Likes

Oh no. Keep it up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.