How I learned to love the hurdy-gurdy

Originally published at: How I learned to love the hurdy-gurdy | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Here’s another good one.

5 Likes

Just because someone had to, so it might as well be me.

16 Likes

One of my friends recently bought a hurdy-gurdy. I am learning the bagpipes. We plan to start the greatest band ever.

33 Likes

This musician got me to appreciate the hurdy-gurdy…

His whole album(Visions) that song is from is fantastic and I see he has a second album now.

5 Likes

Now if you could find a way to cross the two, or add an accordion…

13 Likes

That band will be very polarizing, but I will be on your side, in the front row. :grinning:

14 Likes

You forgot the theremin… @manybellsdown, add a theremin too…

11 Likes

Theremin hurdy-gurdy crossover? A therdy-mirdy?

6 Likes

I feel compelled to point out that the hurdy gurdy, in the form we know it now, at least, is a renaissance instrument rather than a medieval one.

Also, I am surprised nobody has yet posted what I consider the quintessential hurdy gurdy song

21 Likes

That’s fantastic :joy:

The filters :rofl:

4 Likes

Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

I love it… I hope someone makes that.

Jack Black Advice GIF

also… that song is amazing…

5 Likes

That is stellar! I’ve started a new playlist based on that, thank you.

3 Likes

You’re welcome, I first heard that album a few years ago and bought it after one listen.

2 Likes

Also had to…?

And shout out to my pal Tony:

14 Likes

Woah; dubstep! Fast forward to 3:10

6 Likes

Perfect! We’re going to be called Godawful Racket.

21 Likes

Do It GIF by Breaking Bad

And put it online for all of us to enjoy!

8 Likes

Hurdy-gurdy and bagpipes is a good combination, it’s often found in European folk bands. Here’s a great example:

Blowzabella (who were big in the folk scene in the 1980s) also used bagpipes and hurdy-gurdy. Their gurdy player, Nigel Eaton, went on to play with Led Zeppelin / Page & Plant:

9 Likes

In the video shared in the article are there any accompanying instruments? I assumed it was ll the hurdy-gurdy until the percussion sound came in and now I’m questioning if there are any sort of background instruments.