How imageboard culture shaped Gamergate

Thank you for joining just to supply us with an abject example.

But to quote The Princess Bride:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

And:

13 Likes

That’s an outright stupid argument. When people find a fountain of hostile idiocy, they may make an attempt to correct it, but if that doesn’t work they leave, particularly if it’s the sort of idiocy that questions their humanity as often happens on racial or gender issues.

This is not silencing in the sense of banning, but it silences their viewpoint just the same. As a result well-moderated communities tend to have more diverse opinions than ones that just let everyone screech invective at the top of their lungs. Which is, incidentally, nothing like defending viewpoints from a logical foundation.

Stick around here, and I bet you’d find many of your opinions don’t hold up so well when you aren’t permitted to drive opponents away…only I’m sure you won’t bother, being an account that signed up just in time to defend gamergate and all.

20 Likes

Now after reading the article , i will comment on its main point.

1. Gamergate isnt about sexism or gamer culture being toxic, its about a cabal of leftist journalists that was exposed collaberating on controlling a political narrative on a hobby that never actually held a political narrative. Its a real life exposed conspiracy if there ever was one. Oh wait. The same thing happened in the mainstream media with the “journolist” scandal. So its not a stretch of the imagination that this could happen to “gaming journalism”.

2. Vivian , like most gamers , likes to play games. She doesnt feel the need to interject on identity politics because the hobby she fell in love with never had any identity politics in the first place. This is why she is dismissive of the whole thing. Its fucking gay. If she was offended by the lack of female protaginists or rampant online sexism , maybe she would not be a part of the hobby?

see , the only arguments you could muster up are literally clickbait image macros and overused MAYMAYS.

PLEASE UPVOTE ME THEN HE CAN BE WRONG GUYS

I suspect the consensus that emerged has to do with the demographics, that channers are primarily straight white males. Combine that with a culture of free speech absolutism, and voila - nazis. Rather than repeat an earlier comment I made to that effect, here’s a link to it.

1 Like

That’s idiotic. It’s completely impossible to create a narrative that doesn’t have an implicit political narrative. And I couldn’t begin to count the number of games that have explicit political narratives.

Vivian, unlike most gamers, is a cartoon.

23 Likes
  1. racial and gender issues are not issues. We are a tribal society and our genders are strictly biological. Shocking to think these things become issues when we mix together and start forcing women into the workforce and start wondering why birth rates are dropping off the face of the map and nobody can find jobs.

2. No , when you ban somebody you are silencing them as a person. On pol you are unable to hold an opinion if you cannot defend it. We get slimey communists every day try to push their ideology and EVERY TIME they get smacked down by our history buffs who can quote their heroes verbatim to dismantle their arguments. Leftists are unable to argue on even ground if they cannot control the narrative by banning people. Its really that simple.

3. How can I defend my opinion if im banned for it? How can I defend myself against image macros and maymays?

3 Likes
  1. No , gaming as a whole never held a narrative. Its up to the developers to decide the narrative. Not a cabal of journalists and reviewers deducting points from reviews because grand theft auto hurt their feelings.

2.holy shit fantastic rebuttal

1 Like

Huh, I thought it was about… Wait, I can’t do it, I’m laughing too hard.

18 Likes

Gawker lost multiple journalists and millions in ad revenue

Not only that , but most of the gaming journalism sphere now have signed ethical contracts since the scandal started.

Keep laughing

1 Like

Can do!!

2 Likes

Holy shit!

You are a sentient Gamergate Bingo Card!!

This is hilarious. Do you do parties?

22 Likes

Yes , give me your address

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington

Make sure you bring Vivian. Unless you think bringing her would be forcing her into the workforce. She can stay home and make babies for you instead, I guess.

15 Likes

where exactly in austin though…

Vivian’s too busy playing Grand Theft Auto 5, a pure game that says nothing about race, gender, or class relations.

12 Likes

^That happens every day. I don’t agree with every Anon, and I know for a fact they don’t all agree with me. But at the end of the day, /pol/ is always right.

1 Like

why do you think developers having a political message is the same thing as journalists dictating in a blanket fashion to developers the message they want in games via manipulative scoring and marketing?

HMM IT SEEMS I HAVE RUN OUT OF POSTING POINTS.

I WILL GET BACK TO YOU GUYS IN 22 HOURS WHEN THIS WEBSITE ALLOWS ME TO CONTINUE TO TALK

"We get slimey communists every day try to push their ideology and EVERY
TIME they get smacked down by our history buffs who can quote their
heroes verbatim to dismantle their arguments. Leftists are unable to
argue on even ground if they cannot control the narrative by banning
people. Its really that simple. "

That’s the point I was referring to.

2 Likes

Yay! The Echochamber Cavalry is here!

8 Likes