How is Corona beer doing 7 months into coronavirus?

Anyone notice there’s been a ton of Corona ads on tv? I’ve been watching a lot of Office on Comedy Central and I swear every commercial break there’s a Corona commercial. They must’ve spent millions on ads to fix their image.

2 Likes

for extra fun, the three are all related by more than just the name. Or, to put that slightly differently, they all share the same name for a common reason.

1 Like

Wonderful thing about Wikipedia is you can check the sources. The NYT article cited for the active ingredient is from 82.

Generally speaking from what I remember (I was pretty fucking young). These sorts of over the counter appetite suppressants and stimulant diet pills were still widely available into the early 90’s but were by then not so popular and very controversial. I remember warnings in school and PSAs about them.

That’s why I tend to think the AIDS connection is a bit over sold. It’s a nice excuse but I’m sure sales of these things were minimal by that point and there was a lot of public pressure to shut this sort of thing down. The NYT article mentions lawsuits. Every show in the late 80’s and early 90’s had a very special episode about either diet pills or No-Doze.

Like I said I was pretty young, but I do remember “diet candy” being called out in school as particularly dangerous because kids would eat it, and it could seriously hurt you. Apparently the active ingredient was recently blocked from the US market because it’s associated with increased risk of stroke. Would not have been able to recall the name if we weren’t discussing it right now.

This one sounds like a pseudoephedrine sort of thing. So sorta stimulant that causes SPACE MADNESS.

3 Likes

For sure. Those ‘80s diet pills were no joke. Doctors would warn people not to take them and there was a lot of controversy around why they were OTC at all. As you said, that controversy coming to a head probably had more to do with Ayds’ demise than the naming kerfuffle. People like to believe “just so” stories like this but truth is never so simple.

2 Likes

I think it also might have been a crisis that just hastened the decline of a product that was going to be on the way out. Drug based weight loss medicine that looks like candy may just have not been a great product heading into the 90s.

2 Likes

Why didn’t I think of that (thank you!)

I guess I can be glad I survived okay. (There was only ever the one box of Ayds in the house, though. As I said, my mother was not pleased with my father bringing home a diet aid for her—with the implication, of course, that she was too fat—and she was not interested in using them herself.)

By the way, happy Cakeday, Ryuthrowsstuff :smiley:

1 Like

Where I live Corona beer is expensive. I still buy it though (even though I never bought is pre-pandemic) because it’s one of the only ways in my sad little life to be edgy.

1 Like

Huh, all this talk of Tang made me look up something I’ve always wondered about.

I’m a Brit, and one of my favourite bands is Alice Donut. In their song “Consumer Decency” from the album “Bucketfulls of Sickness and Horror in an Otherwise Meaningless Life” there’s a line that mentions “Astronaut Tang”. I had no idea what it was, but having just done a search for it, I find that the Wikipedia page mentions that Tang sold relatively poorly until NASA used it on John Glenn’s Mercury flight in February 1962.

More useless but interesting trivia for the old noggin.

3 Likes

The good news is there is an antidote for Corona and it’s called any other beer.

1 Like

Das beste!

2 Likes

I live in Germany and I hadn’t seen Corona beer here (shipped from Mexico to GERMANY(!!!)) before, but a few weeks ago I saw it on the shelves.
Looks to me as if the marketing guys thought of the German demographic that likes to make fun of Dumbfuckistan and would drink Corona beer in protest.

2 Likes

If the cure for COVID-19 was take a couple Berlinnerweisses and call me in the morning, I’d be all over it.

3 Likes

I’m doing my bit, cos the 50-odd quid a week I’m saving by not commuting is going on single malt.

5 Likes

I don’t know… there was a Marburg virus once…

1 Like

Imgur

2 Likes

If you put 1 drop of corona beer in a vial of water and shake it, it gains the memory of the beer and can be used as equivalent to the full potency of beer. Something, something, natural energy and immune to all disease

2 Likes

When Austria went into lockdown in March, people did some panic buying. Toilet paper, pasta, yeast, and Corona beer sold out quickly.

The toilet paper was mostly an issue with re-stocking the shelves quickly enough from the warehouses, pasta production could be ramped up sufficiently quickly, but for yeast — people discovered baking their own bread — and for Corona the shortage was real.

I don’t recall even hearing about any other product being sold out or in short supply.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.