This 1984 commercial for Ayds diet candy has aged terribly

Originally published at: This 1984 commercial for Ayds diet candy has aged terribly | Boing Boing

4 Likes

An oldie but goodie. “How does Ellen Sherman do it all? She’s smart. She takes Speed.”

16 Likes

12 Likes

The one to watch out for is the Ryanair Variant, the first virus to charge you per particle.

22 Likes

My “in bad taste” meter just exploded.

6 Likes

Jared had aides and look where he is now

4 Likes
3 Likes

The chief operating officer said…

“the product has been around for 45 years. let the disease change its name.”

2 Likes

legendary bad timing for marketing a product.

1 Like

(scene is software company in 2018): “Say, we should develop a video conferencing platform. It will help people be co-operative through video, so we’ll call it… CoVid!”

5 Likes

Reminds me of the dumb central joke underlying this South Park episode, which has aged poorly for entirely different reasons.

(Jared the Subway guy was not yet known to be a sex offender at the time)

6 Likes
1 Like

Ayds predated news of AIDS, just to be clear, so it wasn’t in horribly bad taste when they started airing. Not for that reason, at least. The ads were in active circulation when the virus hit though, if I recall correctly.

6 Likes

Yes, they were [the ads], hence my comment, just to be clear.

2 Likes

Cracking Up Lol GIF

1 Like

Meanwhile, I’m trying to determine the identity of the station wagon in the background.

No surprise, really

2 Likes

It’s interesting that despite the comparison of Ayds/AIDS (which did end up ending the Ayds brand), neither coronavirus nor the Delta variant really shows any chance of ending the Corona beer brand nor Delta airlines (more the pity, as I’m not a fan of either brand).

I got rained out of work today and I’m avoiding doing business books so I started Googling.

I searched from 1978 to 1985. The only clues were the door mirror, bolt on bumper, solid rear door window, and long narrow head rests.

I could not find any wagon with all those things.

The closest I came was Ford Granada but the mirror wasn’t exact.

There’s a Little House marathon on so I gave up.

3 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes.