Italy coronavirus death toll now 7, WHO says COVID-19 not pandemic yet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/24/italy-coronavirus-death-toll-n.html

On HackerNews this was being discussed and it was mentioned that this pandemic may be the first big stress test of our just-in-time delivery system for grocery stores.

The consensus seemed to be that it’s time to stock up on some non-perishable foods and water. Two to three months worth was mentioned a lot. Provided you buy stuff that you can eventually eat, there’s no real downside.

2 Likes

?
Not sure why you would need to stock up on water.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would think that would only apply to places that don’t have drinkable water from their taps. Our tap water is great.

I suspect having a kitchen renovation at this time may not be optimal either. So I will take not having to stockpile water. I am to already be heading for looking post apocalyptic chic for cooking for the next few months.

1 Like

1 Like

I don’t know why the WHO is dancing around this. It’s clearly a global pandemic and people should be getting advice to prepare, not still sitting around believing that their government’s vaguely racist travel bans are still protecting their entire country from infection.

2 Likes
2 Likes

“The virus may settle down into an endemic pattern of transmission, into a seasonal pattern of transmission, or it could accelerate into a full-blown global pandemic."

3 Likes

Human to human transmission. Check. Some carriers non-symptomatic and therefore unknowing/undetectable. Check. Outbreaks on multiple continents. Check. Yep that’s a pandemic alright.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Not this fucking shit again. “God will cure you if your faith is strong enough” is a trope I run into now and then. Came very close to decking the father of a kid in ICU trying very hard to die from Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) when he told me he stopped giving her insulin because God would cure her “if her faith was strong enough.” He then berated her for her “lack of faith.” I tried to explain that it was not lack of faith, but lack of insulin. When he jumped back at me for “questioning his faith” the nurses had to pull me out of the room. Which was for the best, admittedly.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.