Flash back to what they were saying about Covid in Jan 2020 for a sad chuckle

Originally published at: Flash back to what they were saying about Covid in Jan 2020 for a sad chuckle | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF

25 Likes

It’s always bushiness as usual with these people until long after it actually wasn’t.

6 Likes

Trump was still pushing the “15 cases, soon to be zero“ line in late February of 2020.

22 Likes

Remember when Der Trumpenfuher was downplaying it? “Ten cases, soon down to zero.”. Trump BUNGLED this from day ONE, and He and He Alone is responsible for a majority of the deaths. If he had acted responsibly, and not ignored the response plan that Obama left him, the world today would be a very different place.

13 Likes

The evidence presents for transatlantic stupidity…

12 Likes

The prolonged Covid 19 Pandemic is starting to wear me thin.

15 Likes

_5BHpxz1

10 Likes

A suggested article below this one from boingboing via slate dismissed covid symptoms including “loss of smell”:

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, went back and scanned the first posts in the original coronavirus thread. Damn, we were so naive. And dumb. Definitely dumb. Took a little while to realize what it was and how bad it could get. But we have no excuses now.

14 Likes

The same people were stupid.

January 23, 2020

6 Likes

I’m worried what we’ll all be saying in 2-3 weeks. The omicron wave will be at peak everywhere, and systems will be overrun.

Buckle up.

9 Likes

But at the same time, I think it was at BoingBoing where I first learned about the virus. And even in the brief description, I was worried from the onset.

9 Likes

Earliest reference I could find:

16 Likes

Yeah. I posted that screen shot above your comment. Not to say that boingboing was stupid too but that we were all confused. I was in denial in early days. I thought masks were kinda over the top at first. My band played a show shortly before the shutdown in NY and I was joking about maybe alcohol would kill the virus. But even then we were elbow bumping instead of shaking hands and I brought my own microphone. A lot was confusing in those early days about how serious this was but no denying that a lot of right wing media and the Trump administration were even more in denial (and In many cases deliberately misleading us) than the rest of us.

3 Likes

incompetent and wrong

1 Like

Yep, and just 6 comments in the forum. I was not one of them. More accurately, I asked myself the question, ‘hmm, is this going to be something I’m going to have to worry about I wonder?’

3 Likes

We were in Florida in February for a few weeks, planned on staying another week or so but we decided to come back early so I could see my cardiologist to figure out what we should do.

Turns out I was his last patient before he shut down his office.

We had no idea what make of it early on. He set us straight. Until that visit we thought it was being blown out of proportion.

He impressed on me, from the information he was getting, that I did not want to get the virus. He’s normally pretty relaxed but this visit he was very worried about how this was going to turn out.

I figured he knew more than Facebook so we listened. I don’t make any health decisions with consulting him.

8 Likes

But many of the posts were reasonably prescient. I think we have above-average levels of paranoia here, which in this case translated to getting things more right than other sources.

1 Like

Screenshot of a post by a Facebook friend of a friend who had a daughter living in China. This is from Jan 24 2020. I remember at the time reading it thinking there’s no way this is real. (This screenshot was followed by a voicemail message from her daughter describing how tens of thousands of people were infected already in China)

10 Likes