78 of 100 recovered coronavirus patients have "lasting cardiovascular damage"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/29/78-of-100-recovered-coronaviru.html

7 Likes

And now you know why the tobacco industry was so quick with their anti-covid efforts. A full and complete outbreak of the virus could spell a quick and painful death for their industry.

17 Likes

I hope all the people that keep obsessively repeating “It’s just like the flu…” read and understand this.

22 Likes

You mean this pack of lies from the JAMA libs? I DON’T THINK SO…NICE TRY! /s

11 Likes

So I assume by “recovered” they mean people who had symptoms, even if they were mild, vs asymptomatic people?

I am not aware of the tobacco industry promoting anti-covid efforts. Can you elaborate?

And I find it highly (eta unlikely) they or anyone understood the possibly long term effects until relatively recently. Though smoking makes any respiratory illness harsher. Its why I worry a bit about my mom who is former smoker.

And that’s just Phillip Morris.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-17/philip-morris-money-is-funding-pro-vaping-coronavirus-spin

13 Likes

@frauenfelder

Mark, I suspect a glitch in your typing and it might be prudent to correct it.

Even mild cases of Coronavirus can result in lasting coronavirus cardiovascular damage, according to a study published this week in JAMA Cardiology.

9 Likes

I took care of it. Thanks!

7 Likes

Add to that, nearly 1-in-2 are experiencing long-term, debilitating illness (20% hospitalized + 28% (35% of remaining 80%)) = 48%.

8 Likes

Any more good news?

2 Likes

Taking a quick look at the actual publication:

In this study of a cohort of German patients recently recovered from COVID-19 infection, CMR revealed cardiac involvement in 78 patients (78%) and ongoing myocardial inflammation in 60 patients (60%)

IANAMD, but doesn’t that mean “only” 60% have lasting cardiovascular symptoms, and 78% had cardiovascular symptoms at some point in the process?

5 Likes

I think that also overlooks how consequential the flu is for cardiac health, as well.
The normal flu has all sorts of knock on cardiac consequences.
https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005050.pub3/full

6 Likes

And the “just a flu” people underestimate how many people a bad flu can kill. The 1918 flu pandemic, conservatively speaking, killed 0.5% of the total US population at the time.

Which today would work out to over 1.6 million people in the US.

4 Likes

Try again . JAMA is one of the most trusted peer reviewed med journals in existence… since 1883 … must be painful to be so brainwashed … there are always voodoo docs out there for you though … I think your prez will send you the link.

1 Like

Hello, friend. I was being sarcastic. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

4 Likes
3 Likes

It‘s explained in the study:

Most patients recovered at home (n = 67), with severity of the acute COVID-19 illness ranging from asymptomatic (n = 18) to minor to moderate symptoms (n = 49). A total of 33 severely unwell patients (33%) required hospitalization. In this group, 2 patients (2%) underwent mechanical ventilation, and 17 (17%) underwent noninvasive ventilation with positive airway pressure. Oxygen supplementation was required in 28 patients

And:

Our study has limitations. The findings are not validated for the use in pediatric patients 18 years and younger. They also do not represent patients during acute COVID-19 infection or those who are completely asymptomatic with COVID-19. Several patients within our cohort had new or persistent symptoms, thus increasing the likelihood of positive CMR findings.

It was obvious to them that smoking is a relevant risk factor for severity of respiratory diseases.

Basically smoking is a problem for any disease, as it weakens your immune system and your capacity for recovery. But more so for respiratory diseases.

1 Like

download

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.