'How Lavabit Melted Down'

[Permalink]

Please help support Lavabit’s fight against the government: https://rally.org/lavabit/c/jfZcLXeGbIm

Just a reminder: you’re no longer allowed an email account which is private from the Government.
That is all.

Isn’t it still possible to run your own mail server?

The takeaway from this is that he offered to write them code to get the data they had a court order for, but they wanted access to everything, so that wasn’t good enough.

I’ve been a software engineer for over 30 years, and have been using Linux almost exclusively for about eight years. I was a Lavabit customer. After Lavabit was forced to close, I undertook the challenge of installing my own mail server, with IMAP access, and basic spam detection using DSPAM. I am not exaggerating when I say that it was one of the most involved and complicated processes that I ever tried. A major problem is that in addition to installing all of the software, you have to do so in such a way that all of the communications and storage are secure. I eventually succeeded, mostly, I’m still having weird problems with my DSPAM detection. It took almost a month to set up and work out all of the bugs.

Before Lavabit, I was a customer of https://countermail.com, based in Sweden, and they are just about the only real alternative that I would recommend at the moment. They appear to do encryption “right”, and offer all of the features, including web access, that most customers will want.

…if you’re an American, eh.

Unfortunately, this just means you get to deal with the government request yourself.

Not necessarily, but it does increase the odds that at least I’ll know about it.

Well I was a software engineer… twenty years ago. It might be even more exciting if I tried it!

I highly suggest that folks see the Q&A with Ladar Levison that happened at NANOG yesterday. Much details and why we should be supporting this case.

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.