How legroom on major airlines compare to one another

I would be shocked and amazed by an airline with a luxurious 20-30" of legroom between the seats. The few flights I’ve been on, there was only maybe 6-8" between my seat and the seat in front of me, and they were shallow seats, so that needed to accommodate about 8" of upper leg/knee as well as lower legs, feet, and, at times carry-on bag. Could potentially be comfortable to a professional contortionist. Are there really airlines with that much legroom nowadays? Seems like they’d have to take out half the seats to get that.

Seat pitch is the distance from one seat back (or edge) to the next. That 30" isn’t just legroom, it’s also thigh, butt, torso, upholstery, and tray table room.

6" of legroom is unacceptable though. My calves’ diameters are more than that, and they’re fairly average.

2 Likes

This diagram may help explain

Seat pitch refers to the 30/32 inch measurement rather than the 24/22.9 inch measurement.

And this is all theoretical. The Recaro BL3520 seat might actually be horrible in practice.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.